Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

38 110 conv. paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm fairly clueless about what it cost to get one of these cars painted--I know it ain't cheap. Anyway, looking at getting a 38 110 conv. painted. Not looking for show quality but nice solid paint job. What should I expect to pay for that quality of paint job? Just a ball park figure--thanks

Posted on: 2013/8/4 14:39
 Top  Print 

Re: 38 110 conv. paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here is what it cost me to have my 51 200 done.
crushed glass blasting to remove all old paint $700
Body work - three days labor and two repro rocker panels
Three coats primer
Three coats paint and two coats clear. Three days labor
One week color sanding and buffing.
Materials for paint - $2000
Materials for buffing $100
A friend and I did all of the labor, so I would guess about $5000 for a two tone job.

Assuming that you have almost no body work required, a cheap job is about $2000. This is a Maaco type job - I have had three cars painted by Maaco in the past with very good results, but I did all of the body work and removed most or all of the chrome.

High end, assuming you don't do any of the labor, I would guess about $7000 to 10,000. I need some of the other guys to chime in here, as I obviously work for pretty low wages. A lot of this also depends on the quality paint that you use. I used an etching primer, a filler primer and a final primer. If you have to cut back, I would recommend using a less expensive acrylic enamel rather than an Imron like I used. The cost of the paint also depends on the color - reds are more expensive than white, etc. I would suggest that you talk to several old card friends and see who they recommend. Don't be surprised if the ones they recommend tell you they can get to your car in about six months. The good ones stay very busy. Maybe you will get lucky and find a friend like mine. He didn't do the greatest job on the clear coat; lots of orange peel. But that is easily fixed by color sanding and buffing.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 18:04
 Top  Print 

Re: 38 110 conv. paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Got estimates from $400-25000 settled with Maaco-they did a very good job-I would not let them take the chrome off as concerned as to getting back on. Cost was ~2400 included painting door jams/firewall. It has been a couple of years still looks good.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 19:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved