Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Black engine paint for pulley brackets etc...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi all,

(1949 22nd)I finally finished my fuel pump and water pump rebuild. So now I am moving to paint everything that the son has been sandblasting. (most of which is black) I had bought a quart of Eastwood's underhood. but it looks like this is a satin (5%-10%) gloss. (They do offer a single stage underhood that is a 10%-20%, but I don't know how "glossy" that is.. Everything black that I have seen on the 22nd-23rd looks to be a semi-gloss.

So for anyone that has done an engine detail, what typ/brand of black did you use?

I was all set to paint this coming weekend, but now it looks to be on hold til I determine what to use.

Thanks!

Mark

Posted on: 2013/8/5 14:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Black engine paint for pulley brackets etc...
Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
I've been using Rustoleum "Professional" paints for most of my black parts. They are available in limited colors at Home Depot and Lowes, and come in the large, shiny-silver spray cans. Locally, it seems like Lowes carries more colors than Home Depot, and that's where I had to go to get the semi-gloss black. They cover real nice and lay out good once you get the right technique. You need to spray them in fairly heavy coats, as they don't flow much after they hit the surface. The paint dries much quicker than the original style Rustoleum. I've been applying the color coats right to bare metal, without any primer. The only thing that I can't tell you is how they hold up over time. There is also a "stainless steel" color that looks like bare steel. I used it on some of my cast parts, such as the shift arms on the transmission. I went through quite a few cans of gloss black and two cans of semi-gloss. I tend to paint more things gloss black than I probably should, since it holds up a bit better over time and it's easier to clean than the semi-gloss, satin, and flat paints. I did use the Eastwood chassis black on the frame and front suspension, but if I did it again, I'd probably just use the Rustoleum Professional semi-gloss black.

I didn't have any pics of the semi-gloss parts, just some of the gloss black ones.

Jeff

Attach file:

jpg  (69.27 KB)
5012_52017406c4ca0.jpg 900X675 px

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved