Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

6 Volt Replacement Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
For those of you who like me have not had the best experience with the common short lived and under-rated batteries that the auto parts chain stores offer for your '51 through '54 Packard, I am on my way to O'Rielly's to purchase what I believe is an adequate 6 volt replacement battery for my '53 Clipper. I recently stumbled upon this DEKA (USA Built) group 2 battery that packs a whopping 780 CCA and 940 CA under O'Rielly's "Super Start" Series Fleet and Heavy Duty Battery. Except for an additioanal 3/4" in height, the case measures the same as the dead battery I'm pulling out of my Clipper. if you click on the link:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSB5/2/N0369.oap?ck=Search_N0369_-1_2181&pt=N0369&ppt=C0327
then the tab "compatibility" you will see a list of all the early 50's vehicles that this battery will fit. If you visit the East Penn Manufacturing site who builds the DEKA battery and use their "Online Application Guide" to find your applicable Packard model and click on their #902 battery you will be provided with an image of the same 'Super Start" battery that DEKA builds for O'Reilly's. To my knowledge, DEKA is currently the only battery manufacturer still building their batteries here in the states. I've had one in my 90 mile a day commuter car for 5 years and it's still going strong.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 12:05
 Top  Print 

Re: 6 Volt Replacement Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
90 miles a day on a commuter car is easy on a battery. It is always fully charged. I have a problem with batteries in collector cars that mostly sit and are driven 90 miles a month. A battery tender should be used on a car that sits. But they are a pain to hook up, the wires are easy to trip over, and I hate to have electrical things running in the barn when I am not there (fire hazard).

Posted on: 2013/8/8 9:32
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Fred Puhn wrote:
90 miles a day on a commuter car is easy on a battery. It is always fully charged. I have a problem with batteries in collector cars that mostly sit and are driven 90 miles a month. A battery tender should be used on a car that sits. But they are a pain to hook up, the wires are easy to trip over, and I hate to have electrical things running in the barn when I am not there (fire hazard).

Yes it is, but heat is another factor that kills batteries and we have plenty of that here in Florida too. I mainly posted the information for reasons that I felt like 51 through 54 owners would be interested in. It's the only rectangular 6 volt group 2 battery that I have run across that's specifically specified for 51 through 54 Packards. It's also affordable, made in the states and is a better alternative to the borderline batteries available at Autozone, Tractor Supply and other chain stores. I still plan on hooking up a battery tender though and hopefully be able to stretch the life of it a little more.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 8:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
When you say affordable-how much and do they make the long rectangle battery used in 21/22 and 23 models? I have had good luck with the Tractor supply battery but always looking for another source

Posted on: 2013/8/9 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think that's an ongoing testament to why they went to negative grd and 12 V's. I've used DEKA 12V batteries in my boat for years and they're good and last. Hard to find badged but last I knew O'reilly's and battery plus home brand is made by them. But these chains change suppliers and don't tell ya.
Pos grnd is leaking off threw the body the whole time it's connected. So if there's no recharge... Do that enough tiems and the plates polarize and won't recharge.
You might consider to install two battery cut out switches for when it's not running. Just check voltage/charge up night before you go/crank. You can remote the cables inside but it's extra large gauge cost or run remote control switches. Unconnected they won't go down so far and shorten the life. I've held batteries for years not hooked up even on the mythical concrete floor.
I'm hearing there's a new "battery tender" that's painless but I'm not sure if they are for 6V yet. Unfortunately if we want to live in the past we have to take the problems of the past...

Posted on: 2013/8/9 13:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Right or wrong, I ordered the Battery Tender Junior 6v 750ma unithttp://batterytender.com/products/automotive/battery-tender-junior-6v-at-0-75a.html for the 47. Debated on getting the Plus which has a bit higher capacity and the charge mode is more sophisticated. It might be a better option in some circumstances but this one seemed to have decent specs for what I wanted. It has 3 stages including maintenance mode. Bought it thru Amazon at about $25 so not a lot wasted if it isn't great. Wish I could give a use report but it's not in operation yet.

Only thing I'm a bit concerned about with this new one is the maintenance mode on the Battery Tender Junior is a little ambiguous as to whether it is a complete auto shutoff like the Schumachers have, I would have preferred but couldn't find any small 6v Schumacher tenders.

I know there are some on the forum not in favor of using tenders. I've had a 12v Shumacher permanently mounted on two different vehicles for several years. It does what it is supposed to do so that is most of my concern. Whether it does destroy the battery or hasten it's failure can't be proven by me.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
When you say affordable-how much and do they make the long rectangle battery used in 21/22 and 23 models? I have had good luck with the Tractor supply battery but always looking for another source

$91.00 and some change but like I've already said, you can't compare the DEKA to the Exide that Tractor Supply stocks. I purchased the O'Reilly's battery to replace an 18 month old battery that came from Tractor Supply that was only borderline capable of cranking the 327 from the day I bought it. It had 0 reserve cranking amps while the new DEKA built battery has 200 reserve. Yes, they also sell a couple of versions of the longer rectangular battery under their Commercial and Heavy Duty Series.

Quote:

I've used DEKA 12V batteries in my boat for years and they're good and last. Hard to find badged but last I knew O'reilly's and battery plus home brand is made by them. But these chains change suppliers and don't tell ya.

I say again, go to the East Penn Manufacturing site and look up their 902 DEKA battery and click on "image" and you will be provided with a photo of the exact battery that O'Reilly's sells all the way down to the "Super Start" name. The O'Reilly's part number is simply a 2.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 6:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Thanks for posting the link for the Tender Junior Howard, with a five year warranty that's probably the one I'll get.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 6:44
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packard666
See User information
Thanks Gator, just put one in my 53 convertible.

Clarification: While the O'Reilly website lists this battery as Part #2, it's really #2J.

Had to use their on-line chat function for somebody to figure out why their inventory system doesn't show a part #2.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 12:58
1948 Station Sedan
1948 Custom 2 Door Club Sedan
1953 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packard666
See User information
Packard1949: Another source for the long battery that I have always used is NAPA.
Make sure you get the high amp #7248. They carry another lower amp battery, but this one is much better. It's about 1/8" wider but I haven't had a problem getting it to fit in the battery box with the stock bolt down frame.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/8/13 13:04
1948 Station Sedan
1948 Custom 2 Door Club Sedan
1953 Convertible
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved