Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 6 Volt Replacement Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
It's about 1/8" wider but I haven't had a problem getting it to fit in the battery box with the stock bolt down frame. Good luck!

Wish I had your luck. I bought the 3EF from tractor supply. It fits the tray fine with room to spare but the hold down was a no go. Had to move the long bars to the outside of the end pieces as another poster mentioned having to do for his car. The end brackets fit snugly over the top now.

Tractor supply specs say 4 1/4" for that one and I believe it because the hold down measured 4 1/8" with the bars on the inside. Napa 7248 specs say 4 3/8" so I don't think I could have used it at all with my hold down.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
While we are on the subject of batteries here is a heavy duty battery disconnect switch that folks here may find interesting. I have it installed on the ground terminal of the battery in the 47 Clipper. It is robust enough to carry the current needed in a 6-volt system. Simple and easy to install, and easy to connect and disconnect. The heavy duty ground strap is one that was previously used with a Cole-Herssey switch, which failed.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (34.29 KB)
565_520bbc3733be6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.91 KB)
565_520bbc474a20c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.93 KB)
565_520bbc57237a0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.92 KB)
565_520bbc687c883.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.10 KB)
565_520bbc76bdde4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.95 KB)
565_520bbc87a6db1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/8/14 12:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
While we are on the subject of batteries here is a heavy duty battery disconnect switch that folks here may find interesting. I have it installed on the ground terminal of the battery in the 47 Clipper. It is robust enough to carry the current needed in a 6-volt system. Simple and easy to install, and easy to connect and disconnect. The heavy duty ground strap is one that was previously used with a Cole-Herssey switch, which failed.

(o{}o)

Thanks for posting this JW. I need to install a disconnect on my Clipper but would prefer that it had a soldered connector for the flat woven strap which is the same one I have. Can you post that part number? I can't quite make it out with my old worn out peepers...

Posted on: 2013/8/14 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gator - Can't read it clearly either, sorry. Looks like 728210 or 6. The packaging is long gone. Should be easy enough to find at a NAPA store. These devices are not the light weight type typically seen and used on 12-volt systems. I had the ground strap made at a local alternator-starer shop for the other C-H switch, and sawed off part of the terminal so I could use the cable on the NAPA switch. You should be able to have a custom made cable made at one of these shops that rebuild starters and alternators.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/14 12:51
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
the number is 728218.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David - Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/15 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
John-so the to disconnect the 2 parts are pulled apart.
Big advantage over the green knob switch-How much $$

Posted on: 2013/8/15 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes, the disconnect separates the ground cable from the battery terminal as illustrated in the photo. I paid $12.24 plus tax.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/15 12:23
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you remember the ratings on your failed Cole-Hersee? I bought one of theirs I thought would be more than adequate for the 47 but now I wonder.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I can't see any security advantage to this setup, It would seem to be a minor inconvenience to reattach the ends and take the car..........OR, on the other hand, is this being considered as a way to keep battery discharge to a minimum in between garaging and using the car?

Posted on: 2013/8/15 15:42
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved