Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

320/352 intechangeability?
Just popping in
Just popping in

GasGiant
See User information
First off, I apologize for what is likely a very basic, newbie question. Trying to get this car on the road with a tight budget, so I can enjoy driving it until I'm in a better financial position. Assuming that ever happens.

My '55 Clipper originally had a 320 V8. I still have it, but the previous owner tore it down and never rebuilt it. Block was hot tanked, but it needs bored out, and that was never done due difficulty in finding pistons. Or at least that's what I was told.

The heads were redone by the same shop that hot tanked the block, and are still sitting sealed up in their machine shop bags.

And I have all other little odds and ends - the intake, carb, valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, etc, off the 320.

In my search for a running Packard V8, I am finding 352's, but no 320's. I'm fine with the idea of running a 352, but how many of my current parts will swap over to the 352 without issues? Or, perhaps an easier question, what WON'T swap? I'm not sure if these are part of the same engine family (like SBC's) or if they are very different from each other.

I ask because if I find a good deal on a short block locally and most of the stuff will swap, that may be the best way to go. Most of the running engines I've found (all two of them) are pretty far away.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:25
 Top  Print 

Re: 320/352 intechangeability?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The 55-56 V8s are all part of the same engine family; V8s used in 57-58 Packardbakers are simply rebadged Studebaker engines.

Obviously, the 320 block is gonna be different from the 352 mill (due to bore). However, if you scan the 55-56 parts book's Engine section for application listings specific to 5540 chassis (Clipper Deluxe and Super models), you'll find parts that are specific to the 320 - that is, not shared with other verisions of the 55-56 V8.

While some parts may bolt-up between 55-56 V8 engines of different displacement and/or years, they might not be appropriate - like heads, intake, etc.

You might wanna check the market again on piston availability.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, all your 320" heads and accessories bolt right on to any Packard V8.

Or you might want to check with me. I've got a NOS 320" short block sitting on the floor right now. I'll have to look it over and come up with a price, but it will be less than the cost of the new pistons, rings and bearings.

PM me and we can discuss. I can get a decent deal shipping to FL.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/8/8 10:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I guess the best thing I could do for you is pull the short block apart and hone the cylinders. Naturally, after fifty-seven years, even in a dry climate, there is some surface rust on the bores. The rest is like new. For whatever reason, it doesn't have cam and lifters. Are yours reusable?

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/8/8 18:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
First take the block you have to a machine shop and have it checked for cracks.

If it's good then have them check the taper.

If it's not too far out then have them knurl the pistons and put it back together yourself.

If it's needs to be bored that's still cheaper than fussing around with another questionable block.

Of course make sure there are no spun bearings.

That's about the cheapest scenario.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 0:47
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved