Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New guy!
Just popping in
Just popping in

GasGiant
See User information
Hello everyone,

I've actually already posted in the classifieds and in the 55-56 section, but I thought I'd drop by here and say hey.

I recently got my first Packard, a '55 Clipper Deluxe 4 door. It was my brother's car; he bought it as a restoration project while he was living at my house, and when he moved out, he left it, and gave it to me.

The car needs a lot of attention....floors need work, rockers need work, engine needs rebuilt. My brother did buy a lot of parts: rockers, floor pans, some brake parts for a conversion of some kind (Probably to get rid of that BTV setup), brake lines....he also rebuilt the front end with new coil springs.

I'm still debating it, but I am actually thinking about making this car a nice daily driver. Something I feel confident driving anywhere. Which likely means a brake upgrade, the Olds oil pump conversion, and from what I have been reading, a swap to a better transmission (perhaps a 700R4?) Given that this car is a 4 door, and what I think is the base model for Packards, I don't think I'm hurting the value too much.

Its going to be a long road, as the Packard has to compete for funds with my Bel Air and my boat, but I've got enough stubborn Scot in me not to give up!

Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of the site. Thanks to all.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 14:09
 Top  Print 

Re: New guy!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Welcome! It will help if you have masochistic tendencies....

I have a 56 and have found several items to be particularly helpful: the X-ref chart which details modern parts that fit and Mike Dulinski for parts.

If you go with stock brakes (which IMHO are fine for daily driving) have your BTV rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder.

As to this site, an amazingly high percentage of answers given are solid and correct, unlike some internet places.

Happy driving! You are probably aware that a non torsion bar 55/56 is relatively rare. Would be interesting to ride in yours when you are done to compare.....

Posted on: 2013/8/8 17:49
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
patgreen wrote:

Quote:
You are probably aware that a non torsion bar 55/56 is relatively rare.

Only if you're considering all models over a two-year run.

Actually, conventional spring (coil/leaf) suspension was the ONLY suspension available for the Clipper Deluxe throughout the entire 55 production run. Meanwhile, T-L wasn't available on the Clipper Super line until June of 55, and even then, only as an option.

While Torsion-Level was offered on the Deluxe for 56, it was optional. Yet, even when T-L was officially made standard equipment across all models in May of 56, it appears that conventional spring suspension continued to be available for the Deluxe.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 18:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome GasGiant and glad to have you. There are a lot of helpful people, and many of us have different opinions as to the worth of the BTV or Twin-Ultramatic or...
All are well-meaning and eager to help. Glad to have you aboard. Don't ignore the Packard Clubhttp://www.packardclub.org/
As there are many there with good knowledge and ready to help.
A young gent named Mal will be along shortly with a small request. He's a good fellow so try to accommodate him.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 20:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Only if you're considering all models over a two-year run.

The comment was based on what I see out and about in this area. Also see more 56s than 55s although far fewer were produced. Possibly since 56 was the last year people found them harder to let go?

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:59
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
...A young gent named Mal will be along shortly with a small request. He's a good fellow so try to accommodate him.
Randy,

Although flattery will get you everywhere, I like the use of the term "young gent" as a description, but in this case it wasn't necessary. I've already tapped GasGiant in this thread. I don't belabour the point in multiple posts to the same PackardInfo Member, once is quite enough.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 2:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

GasGiant
See User information
Thanks for the welcome.

I was not aware of the relative rarity of the coil/leaf spring arrangement. I'm completely new to the Packard game; I currently have a '56 Chevy (yep, I'm one of THOSE guys) and I used to have a '56 Buick, and prior to that I was into Camaros/Firebirds (I also had long hair, Metallica shirts and a chain wallet.....I was young)

Given my tight budget, I'll probably run the Ultramatic trans at first. If it does well, I'll keep it in there until it gives up the ghost.

I know there are a lot of different opinons on the BTV setup, but I've read about enough failures to make me nervous enough to swap to something else. I had my brakes fail in a different car, and its not something I'd ever like to experience again.

When I do get it on the road, you're welcome to come for a ride for a suspension comparison!

Posted on: 2013/8/9 5:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
GasGiant Quote:
I know there are a lot of different opinons on the BTV setup, but I've read about enough failures to make me nervous enough to swap to something else. I had my brakes fail in a different car, and its not something I'd ever like to experience again.

Here are my webpages on one way to accomplish a BTV replacement:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/powerbrakes.html

Also, over the next couple of weeks, I'll be helping my local friend Lance (55 Clipper Constellation) convert his BTV to a firewall-hung late 1980s Chevy PB setup including the pedal. Several other guys have done the firewall type conversion, but you have to lose the D-side air vent tube. I'll post digipix and explantion when we get it done.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/9 6:55
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Welcome GasGiant. Nothing wrong with a chain drive or bitchin'Camaros.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 7:58
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved