Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

DM37, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Installing a '51 Engine and Ultramatic together?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to install a 288 with the Ultramatic already bolted on?

Looking at the Workshop Manual it only gives info on Removal and Installation of the Ultramatic when the engine is fitted. I don't have a hoist so it's all ground-level work.

My car came 'disassembled' so I don't know if it's do-able. Seems an easier way than mating the gearbox while lying under the car.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 8:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Installing a '51 Engine and Ultramatic together?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Absolutely. However, I believe the manual says the nose has to be off, although I don't see why especially if the car is on jack stands and the radiator is out.

I always pulled the nose because it's a one man job with the hoist.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 8:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Even is the radiator is out, the core support will be in the way. And the front of the fenders basically hang off the core support in the 51-54 models. So it really can be done without the front of the sheet metal off. You are talking over 1000 lbs of weight with the motor and tranny together. No matter what you are going to need a hoist or something.

Also, you cant go in from the bottom as the crossmember is in the way. You need something to lower the motor in from the top. Either a engine hoist with long legs, or a beam mounted winch hoist.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 10:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No problem at all with the nose off. You may install the engine fully assembled with the Ultra and all cooling lines. You especially want to have the cooling lines on, also the the rear crossmember. That will neatly catch on the frame as you slip it into place so you don't have to support the back of the trans.

It is possible to do this with the nose on, but you will have to cut out the top bar of the core support and push the diagonal out of the way.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
When I put my 288 back in, I couldn't spear the manual transmission, so I took it out and put it back together on the floor, where everything was level. I then used my Harbor Freight engine hoist and a screw type engine leveler, three of us raised the engine and transmission, tilted it at about a 45 degree angle and speared it back into the car. We did have to cut the top radiator support brace off like Ross said. Much easier this way, but still not a one man job. You need one guy running the hoist, one bracing the engine from the top, and one on the bottom of the car. Start making friends with old mechanics who like working for beer!

Posted on: 2013/8/14 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks to all you guys for the information. It's a relief to know it can be done. Car is raised quite a way off the garage floor so hopefully it will swing in ok. I was going to remove the radiator support frame anyway. That will only take a few minutes. And I can easily take the sheet metal (guards/fenders) etc) off to make it easier. I've got an engine crane and quite a few friends who like a beer so no problem there.

The overall heavy lift of 1000lbs means lifting it all with assistance of slings also as I wouldn't want to subject the cylinder head studs to that much strain by using the standard method stated in the Manual, although I suspect that two studs would probably hold that sort of weight. If one did happen to pull out or stretch that would be a major problem . . . Not worth the risk.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 18:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved