Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

humanpotatohybrid, JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

MPG on the 356 ci motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings, I have been driving my 42 160 every chance I can. Got the cooling system all cleaned and new heater valves in. New plugs, leaned out the choke and she runs like a top. How ever I am only getting 10 mpg's at best. I run Marvel Mystery Oil to help out the valves. So what MPGs can I expect. I realize that the 42 is no Ford Focus but should the 356 ci get better mileage? Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 19:45
 Top  Print   

Re: MPG on the 356 ci motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hi John,
I think the experts would tell you that it depends. Depends on how you drive (gentle or hard), how much city vs. highway miles, whether your car has a working overdrive, long or short warm-ups, etc.
That said, right after purchased my it, I drove my Clipper from Seattle to So.Cal.- almost all highway miles. The car wasn't dialed in very well and I wasn't using the overdrive as well as I could have. We got mileage in the 12-13 range. Perhaps 15 at best, on one leg and I think that was a fluke or a math error.
Haven't checked mileage since I fixed the gas gauge, but an overall 10 with a mix of conditions wouldn't keep me awake at night.
Good Luck,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/8/15 20:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
10's about what I get with the 356 in my '40. To be honest, I drive it really hard. 70 - 80 on the highway and move with traffic in town. Conversely, my '39 320 made remarkable mileage, seemed in the 15 - 16 mpg range.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
well I don't poke along,50-55 on the open road. I found a WW 2 "gas ration" sticker in the glove box "B" and from my MPG I bet the original owner used every bit of the coupon's!!

Posted on: 2013/8/15 21:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved