Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 416 417 418 (419) 420 421 422 ... 499 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information

Posted on: 2021/12/26 13:26
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:
Decent looking car but the price seems high for a six. I bet that Fred will turn her nose up at this one for the same reason - she seems like more of an 8-cylinder girl.

Posted on: 2021/12/26 18:57
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
As regards the number of cars for sale, I think it is a reflection of the crackpot pricing inducing more listings.

The central bankers have destroyed national currencies by giving handouts to crooks like on Wall Street. So paper asset prices are unhinged from the fundamentals. Corporations get handouts and use it to buy back stock which also props up prices. If that money was being used for investment the picture would be different. And incidentally, the last stock offering I can think of that was issued for plant and equipment capital was 1906 Pennsylvania Railroad New York City Tunnel and Station project. It never paid for itself either.

This situation creates an emotional state of unrealistic expectations. When the cost of capital is zero then investing in junk cars is technically correct, but realistically foolish. Now that inflation is picking up investing in canned goods or raw materials is probably a better bet. That will cause painful adjustments as is being witnessed right now in certain inflated areas.

As for prewar cars being harder to find, there are more cars for sale now then ever. I remember when people paid thousands of dollars for first refusal options contracts on cars. Today if you want a Duesy - take your pick. Caddy V-16; sedan or phaeton? Packard Speedster? No problem.

Real estate is curious. Rents are skyrocketing and qualified tenants are in short supply. Those rotten renters are also lousy credit risks which creates a shortage of qualified buyers. You can demand any price you want and get it after twenty years of inflation.

Posted on: 2021/12/27 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

r1lark wrote:
Quote:
Decent looking car but the price seems high for a six. I bet that Fred will turn her nose up at this one for the same reason - she seems like more of an 8-cylinder girl.

Best laugh of the week, but it is only Tuesday. Yes, Fred lost interest quickly. Not sure which is worse, the price or the floor cancer. She scored two 6-banger Clipper coupe sixes for half this fee when she was still a kitten, and one of them has solid floors.

And yes, she is a cylinder snob, even is she does jump on the fenders and misjudge and slides back off.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 7:44
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Couple of cars from Bremerton, WA. All are from the same individual who is moving.

1953 Patrician - $9,000. Poor pictures, but appears to be in good condition. Apparently was running before the pandemic, has been parked since. If everything checks out, it would be a great car for someone to jump into.

1941 Clipper projects - $12,500. Two cars in the lot. The first was apparently the only Packard sold to the US government in 1941. The second car is a parts car to restore the first. Something about fire damage. Only three pictures.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/12/31 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Yes, the '53 does look nice, and I agree the pics are terrible. No interior pics, no underhood pics, really no good closeups to get an idea of paint/body condition. But it looks like a lot of car for the money, but too far away for me unless he doesn't sell it and brings it with him to Atlanta

And the Clippers are marked sold now.....that was pretty quick. Maybe Wat Tyler and Fred got them??

Posted on: 2021/12/31 21:15
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Fred forbade such extravagance.

Posted on: 2022/1/1 9:10
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Speaking of poor photos to sell a car, can anyone figure out what is going on with this 1953 Cavalier for sale:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-packard/7424535027.html

A '40 120 coupe project, extremely optimistically priced:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/watsonville-1940-packard-coupe/7425215600.html

Steve

Posted on: 2022/1/1 15:08
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Take a zero off the end of the price on that '40 coupe, and now he would be in the ballpark.

I saw that '53 cavalier as well. I'm at a loss for words. That has to be the worst photo I've ever seen on an ad.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/1/1 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That Clipper story sounds like crap. There are lots of photos of 1941 Packards in government hands. Maybe the only Clipper.

I wonder what he actually got. Restored value of $100k if there is a lot of cash in the trunk.

Posted on: 2022/1/2 9:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 416 417 418 (419) 420 421 422 ... 499 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved