Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
47 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 42

Don B, Joe, TxGoat, Spencer B., CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 455 456 457 (458) 459 460 461 ... 499 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly, but to me, the spark plugs appear to be closer to the passenger side, which would position them over the valves.

Posted on: 2022/11/7 12:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Here are a couple of Packards now for sale in my area (Northeast)

1941 Packard 120 Sedan for sale in Wallingford, CT. Looks like a pretty decent car. Not too far from where I live:

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/wallingford-1941-packard-120-sedan/7554450635.html

1952 Patrician from Long Island, NY. Excellent original with 15K miles. AACA award winner:

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/baldwin-1952-packard-300/7551453133.html

1955 400 Hardtop from Syracuse, NY. Appears to be a good driver with a nicer than average original interior:

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/ctd/d/central-square-1955-packard-400/7548666660.html

1954 LWB sedan. Not exactly sure what this one is. Is this the Henney Patrician Limousine (35 produced in 1954 according to the Beverly Rae Kimes Packard History book)? But the side trim is from a 300 Cavalier. Modified with modern Cadillac drive train. Don't really care for it, but thought I would post anyway:

https://vermont.craigslist.org/ctd/d/milton-1954-packard-executive-limo/7547038282.html

Posted on: 2022/11/8 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Are the under dash lights on the 52 original?

That 55 400 looks nice, that interior is black patent leather, in good shape it's probably the nicest of all the 55 interiors, it has the sparkly boucle as the cloth.

I saw that limo for sale on FB a while back, was originally $26500. It's titled to a guy who died a few years ago, so good luck with that...

Posted on: 2022/11/8 15:36
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly, but to me, the spark plugs appear to be closer to the passenger side, which would position them over the valves.

Agree, not over center of piston and closer to valves, but not directly over exhaust like Packard heads. Just a curious.

Enjoy your Suburban Garage videos. Take care.

Posted on: 2022/11/8 15:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I don't think that there is enough clearance to put the plugs over the piston because of possible interference.

I have wondered if a second plug would make a difference in performance.

That Edmonds head would be a nice day trip. If he had the two-deuce manifold to go with it . . . it would be a lot closer to $3000, methinks.

Posted on: 2022/11/8 20:12
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Most flatheads have the plug over the exhaust valve. The idea is that the flame front moves out from there. If the plug is elsewhere then the flame front must move toward the exhaust valve. In that case the pressure wave of the burning mixture may cause the unburned mixture in that very hot corner of the head to explode rather than combust. Knock knock.

Flatheads have very high turbulence on the compression stroke as the mixture is quickly squeezed toward the valves when the flat topped piston comes within a gasket's width of the head.

Posted on: 2022/11/8 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks, Ross. It would still be nice to understand why Edmonds moved the plug location. Maybe something to do with aluminum and higher compression ratio?

Wat, there is more room over the piston than over the valves. The combustion chambers are wedge shaped. My father had a customer with a '52 Mayfair. He had an Edmonds dual carb manifold installed. Looked cool. I agree, a dual carb manifold to go along with the head would be something special.

Posted on: 2022/11/9 13:18
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wat, you are correct the squeeze part of the combustion chamber is over the piston, not the valves as I posted. Often mistaken, but never confused.

Posted on: 2022/11/9 13:41
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have a Hemi truck and 2 bikes, all of which have 2 plugs per cylinder. Also, they are all OHVs, so there's that. But it dawns on me that a plug over each valve and a touch of block relief might make intake filling and combustion a bit more effective.

Maybe down the road a bit . . . .

Posted on: 2022/11/9 15:34
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Not Craigslist, but on Bring a Trailer auction....
"This custom sports special is said to have been built by Bill Miller in 1954 using the shortened chassis of a 1938 Packard seven-passenger limousine with power from an overbored Packard V12."

Packard V12 Bill Miller Special

First two pics are "then", and third pic is "now".

Attach file:

jpg  Bill Miller Packard V12 Special pic1.jpg (44.23 KB)
192056_6373853fe01de.jpg 667X483 px

jpg  Bill Miller Packard V12 Special pic1a.jpg (41.02 KB)
192056_63738585e27e0.jpg 688X533 px

jpg  Bill Miller Packard V12 Special pic2.jpg (24.23 KB)
192056_6373859c35b8e.jpg 679X457 px

Posted on: 2022/11/15 7:27
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 455 456 457 (458) 459 460 461 ... 499 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved