Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Packard wins Best of Show at Pebble Beach
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. I think it's great that someone can take a basket case and make a show car out of it. I do have a problem of the "restoration" to standards far and above the original production standards. When that happens I feel that the "exibit" ceases to be an automobile of a certain year and becomes a "new" car in the style of.... I mean if it's what fills your boots, you can take a 71 Pinto out of a field, spend a bank load of money "restoring" it to be the finest one on earth - but why? The only thing you're really doing is displaying how much money you can spend without letting the wife and kids starve - and provide the final winning evidence when those same wife and kids haul you before a Mental Competency Judge who will then send you off to the giggle farm.

Personally, I'd much rather see a well taken care of original that not only shows how it was made, but can tell the fascinating history of it's life.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:33
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I certainly appreciate this 1934 Packard 12 and am glad it won what it did at Pebble Beach. On the other hand, it's not my "cup of tea" as I'm a V-8 and modification guy, but hey, to each his own.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:39
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
For the most part, the only thing "over restored" on this Packard is its paint finish. But then, even most driver quality restorations have a paint finish better than new. Otherwise, I'd bet very, very little else was over restored. When Dale does a restoration, he pays attention to the smallest of details in regards to restoring the way the car was built originally. You will not see any rough castings that have been polished smooth if they weren't originally. In fact, he has developed a method of putting the look of rough casting back into cast pieces if they had to be repaired.
No. This car was not over restored, and that's what probably made such a big impact on the Pebble Beach judges.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:43
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks West, for filling us in on the restoration details.
I appreciate your comments and opinion.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 16:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2013/8/19 17:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

There is a short article about the car on the New York Times website today. The Times has started to pay attention to older cars in the last few years, which in itself is a good thing, I think.

As Owen says, "the history of that car is well known" An outline of the history is in the article. Suffice to say it had a very hard life and the restoration defeated other owners before Judge Cassini. So, whatever the aesthetics we are lucky to still have it.

There was tough competition, the first two Model A Duesenbergs sold to the public (also noted in The Times) received restorations at a staggering expense. Their standing hasn't been mentioned in the press yet. Score a big one for East Grand Avenue. I was pleasantly surprised.

It is my experience that the owners of these cars are often eager to share them with their local club members. They understand they are custodians, not owners

There is an ongoing discussion around these quarters about the kind of car that usually wins. Thirties low production open European, preferably painted black and with chrome wire wheels seem to be favored. The Twelve fits some of these criteria but it is good to see an American chassis with actually some numbers of production win.

The car is local to me and the Judge is a member of my CCCA region. With some luck I will be able to go to the Grand Classic here next spring and see it. If so, I expect some one will post some more pictures of it here for our friends.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2013/8/19 17:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Restoration costs and too-valuable-to-expose-to-the-real-world woes be damned! It's Magnificent!!!!! I've been fascinated with this amalgam of Dietrich and LeBaron styling features executed prefectly as a '34 Twelve. Thanks West for posting this.

It was a badly abused survivor, herefore a daunting restoration, I applaud the gentlemen with the financial resources plus willingness teaming with craftsman skills to return this masterpiece to perfectly restored status.

Pebble Beach may well be about money and ego but so what? So too are a good many local shows which are but venues for smaller fish to publicly demonstrate their 'wealth' by sinking the family fortune into a vehicle.

The healthy way to attend Pebble Beach is to wear your best historian's hat only, enjoy the opportunity to see rare and wonderful survivors of an era never to be duplicated.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/8/19 18:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
OK guys ... mea culpa! I have been to a lot of high-end shows and the Barrett-Jackson Auction several times and I admit that more than one time I had to rent a drool bucket. It must be nice to have $250,000 to drop on restoring a car. I'm glad these high-end restorers get to stay busy working on these cars; but I have to tell you that the guys I truly admire are some of the folks blogging into this site who are spending the time, money, sweat, and busted knuckles on more humble, and accessible, examples of Packards. I am particularly impressed by those folks who aren't multi-millionaires who work so hard to bring back cars they find in barns and fields.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 19:15
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
This car was bought new by the same guy as the 40 Rollson sedan that was advertised earlier in the month.

I'm not a big fan of Rabble Beach. The other day they had a TV spot and were saying things like "this 1914 Rolls Royce cruises all day at 100 mph". And some other stuff about how the cars are completely torn down before they can go there. Why? So that the platers can grind some more metal away?

I really can't find anything to knock about this car. Heck, it may be the last hurray for some big dollar restorations. However, the green hubcaps are about as original as the green top. The original top was tan - case closed. But wonder of wonders - they kept the original plated radiator shell. And the Deluxe hood ornament to boot. That is totally amazing. And the chrome wheels are 100% authentic.

My question is: how many times in the future will it be taken apart and put back together again? I remember a Packard LeBaron Speedster years ago owned by a guy named Fred Hussey. It was a partly original car that scored 100 points. Since then it has been taken apart and put back together again so many times it isn't even the same car.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 19:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Tim
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the Hussey car was a phaeton that is still completely original un-restored; the black car that Bob Bahre owns. Jack Nethercutt tried to buy it but was unsuccessful. His tip-of-the-hat to the car he couldn't buy is apparent in the license plate on his identical car, "HUSSY."

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:46
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved