Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Engines runs stalls when put in gear
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
I have a '50 Deluxe 8. The engine runs well, but when I put it into any gear it clunks and the engine dies almost immediately. Any suggestions on what may be the issue?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/8/21 12:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Engines runs stalls when put in gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try a new condenser. Check the points wjile your at it.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 13:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Standard shift or Ultramatic? I can't see it happening on standard shift as depressing the clutch and putting it into any gear does not change the load on the engine until the clutch is released. If Ultramatic, a load is imposed on the engine as soon as it's placed into any gear. Is the idle speed set more or less correctly? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Posted on: 2013/8/21 13:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
It's an Ultramatic. It was running quite well then this happened. I did have new points, condenser and rotor put on and adjusted. It does have an issue with the carb and that needs to be cleaned out, but the engine runs well until it's put into gear, so I don't know about a fuel issue. I just made the transition from classic Buicks to Packards, so some things are new to me. What vacuum line could potentially cause this type of problem?

Posted on: 2013/8/21 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You have a very basic vacuum system, the only vacuum unit on the car is likely the windshield wiper motor which is fed from the vacuum booster pump which is part of the fuel pump. Leaks could be at the manifold bolts, the carburetor, or the booster pump - not likely that it's the wiper motor itself as that would normally be shut off, though you could have a broken line or hose.

First I'd check the carburetor and manifold bolts for tightness. Then check the vacuum lines for broken lines or hoses. Check the booster pump for leaks. If that leads nowhere, I'd recommend using a vacuum gauge and attaching it to the intake manifold (there normally is a plug you can remove for this purpose, or use the opening in the intake that feeds the vacuum booster pump). Measure vacuum with a warm engine idling - a healthy engine should give 18 to 20 inches of vacuum. If not you either have a leak, a badly worn engine, or an engine severely out of tune.

You didn't mention idle speed, though not overly critical it should be over 400 rpm.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 14:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you say the engine dies almost immediately is it after you give it gas trying to move the car or can you even get to that point? After you check out the vacuum and idle speed, I've had clogged fuel filters do similar when the engine couldn't get enough gas when you ask it to do more than idle.

If all the engine items check OK or the engine is stalling immediately when placing it in gear, I'd wonder if the direct drive piston had fully released the last time you drove it. 50 and 51 Ultras could have a binding issue which sometimes prevented complete release -- but that was generally noticed by the engine stalling when coming to a stop -- not when trying to get it going.

If that piston wasn't fully released, possibly it is partially in direct drive. That would sure cause the engine to stall but don't know an easy way to prove or rule it out.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
vacuum advance-mine was leaking so bad it would die when I came to a stop-I have traditional trans

Posted on: 2013/8/21 16:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Thad Gegner
See User information
No, I cannot even get to that point. Whatever gear I put it in it dies at once. Fuel filters are clean.

thanks all!

Posted on: 2013/8/21 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Since it is an Ultramatic,is it possible that you might be stuck indirect drive?

Posted on: 2013/8/21 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Stuck governor. Relatively easy to service as it is on the outside of the Ultramatic.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/21 17:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved