Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 116

David Timberlake, Mopar_Earl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Shocks--22nd & 23rd Series
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
I'm looking at replacing the rear shocks in my 1950 Standard Eight and am hoping for some guidance. The Packard Service Manual Section VI, Chassis, indicates I need to pay attention not only to installing the shocks properly but must also pay attention to the rubber suspension bushings.

I see in the Packard Info cross reference that the proper shock to use is the Napa 94080. These shocks go for about $30 each (with tax) at Napa. I'm curious if there are other, better-quality shocks that people use. Does anyone have any experience sourcing high quality shocks for the rear end of a 22nd or 23rd series Packard?

Max Merritt offers rear shock absorber bushings, part Group 13.002, Part # 347423, for $5 each. The Packard Parts & Accessories book says I'll need eight of these bushings.

Is that true? Will I need to get four bushings for each shock?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and answers!

All the best,

Mark in Seattle

Posted on: 2013/9/2 18:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Shocks--22nd & 23rd Series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Max Merritt offers rear shock absorber bushings, part Group 13.002, Part # 347423, for $5 each. The Packard Parts & Accessories book says I'll need eight of these bushings.

Is that true? Will I need to get four bushings for each shock?

P/N 347423 is a tapered bushing - like what's used with some shocks on larger trucks, rather than a sleeve and bushing that's pressed into the eye of some shock absorbers in more recent passenger car applications. Two of the tapered bushings are required per each eye - one for either side.

I don't know if the x-ref'd shock has pressed-in bushings or if such bushing is compatible with your chassis or needs to (or can) be replaced with the OE type.

Perhaps others with more experience will chime in.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I used NAPA 94080 shocks on my '50 Custom. No problems. Nice fit and a good ride. I'm sorry but I installed them back in 2007 and I don't remember if they came with the rubber or not.

In October of 2007 I paid $41.94 for both shocks.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 22:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
I might have answered my questions.

I just talked to JD at Max Merritt and he reports I don't need to buy the eight bushings. He says the new shocks come with bushings installed, along with washers, etc.

The guy at my local Napa store says the only upgrade he can find for the 94080 shock is Napa's KYB shock, which is imported and metric and designed for import vehicles.

I was still curious about the possibility of upgrading my shocks and called the Monroe Shock Absorber company, where I spoke to a technical support guy. He informed me that Monroe does indeed make shocks for NAPA and that the Napa 94080 corresponds to the Monroe 31094.

He reported the shock is part of the "Monroe-Matic Plus" line, which is designed to replace OEM equipment at an economical price. He said Monroe had a comparable shock in its higher-end "Reflex" line, but in his opinion I would be wasting my money with the Reflex shock. He advised me to go with the Monroe 31904/Napa 94080 and save my money.

All the best,

Mark in Seattle

Posted on: 2013/9/3 12:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved