Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Echlin VR-57 Voltage Regulator - apparently no longer available
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
FYI - I was out trying to get new electrical parts and NAPA no longer shows the VR-57 V.Reg. I double checked site(s) and store. Everything crossing on Remy Inc. for Delco 1118278 shows obsolete.
There's a Chinese knock off Delco ACE and the Standard Motor Products VR-1 and maybe others apparently available.
Any more OEM cross listings/sources would be valuable long term.
I bought a NOS Delco unit that crosses from ebay as prophilactic measure until I can check if mine works or not but not 100% sure if it's correct.
NAPA has the HR-100 horn relay, SL-134 stop switch, and DS-102 dimmer still available - unless I bought the last ones.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Echlin VR-57 Voltage Regulator - apparently no longer available
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've said it before but will one more time; NAPA/Echlin and Standard aren't going to have these parts forever - they are selling existing stock. Anticipate your future needs and buy it now or don't whine down the road when they are NLA.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I was using Standard VR-8 (54 Chevy) and the last time I bought one the system showed two available nationwide.

As the nation becomes less and less competitive these kinds of luxury products will disappear.

Lately the radio has been touting a statistical abstract showing that car ownership, especially among youth, is falling. That creates a new problem for auto makers because it will create an entry point for the next basic transportation.

There is no product catering to people for whom the only reason to drive is getting somewhere. The economies of scale in the current business plan are enough to make me throw up. For example, the biggest seller in the US market is 1/10 the volume of the single Chevrolet line in 1955.

However, the youth market is in income decline so in the future buying habits will not support today's floor plan.

My objective is a car that gets me where I want to go and doesn't break. I don't give a hoot if it does a 20 second 1/4 mile at 70 mph. I'll just put the pedal to the floor board. I don't know what I'm going to do when my antique modern car wears out.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
NAPA called, the dimmer switch DS-102 is no longer avail. but the replacement DS-133 is.
They told the store the horn relay wasn't available but it showed up from the warehouse. I find alot of problems, maybe regional, with their system. If I reserve online the store has no clue and can't look it up. Like most places struggling to stay alive, they have legacy computer systems.
Also, you get the wrong part in the right box. So we might order a thermostat and get lucky and get a VR-100 someday!
Gotta love those Packard horns! Must be where the ask a man comes from, he like to honk those "get the F out of the way" horns! My dog went nuts when I tested them.
ps will update the cross ref with these when I get time.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Tim Cole Quote:
(snip)

As the nation becomes less and less competitive these kinds of luxury products will disappear.

(snip)

Great analysis Tim! I would add after watching an episode of "Modern Marvels" this AM that "recycling" of cars, i.e., crushing and shredding, is currently the biggest value of an "old car", so they are disappearing faster than the Passenger Pigeon or Dodo Bird ever did.

If you are restoring any old car (Packards and Gen-2 Firebirds in my case), then you need at least TWO parts cars for every one restored. This means that you've got to have the space for the parts cars and an understanding wife (if so equipped) and not live in a CC&R controlled development.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:39
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Don't mean to Hi-jack your post or the subject Jim but OD's right, it's getting to the point where parts to keep our cars going are disappearing and owning a fair weather classic that can remain garaged is becoming more and more of a luxury. You gotta admire those dedicated Cuban gentlemen who in spite of the lack of resources available to keep their beloved "American Classics" roadworthy, they somehow manage to be creative enough to do just that...and they do it very well.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Before we jump off the worry cliff.
The Echlin chart posted shows Echlin dimmer switch DS-102 for 23 series. The 22 series (same year) shows DS-101. NAPA crosses the DS-102 with DS-133. DS-133 came in today and is "completely" wrong - a modern style column switch connector.
We ran the computer and came up with DS-101 as still a stock item. When I check the fit online, it shows as being correct. Picture looks right or close enuff to make fit. This one just might be a gliche/typo in the numbers. DS-101 be in tomorrow but I may not get til Fri. Keep U posted.
So far all the other parts are in stock and correct or newer versions. New voltage regulators are available from other manufacturers, just won't be factory "correct" per se. I do not know about the Autolite parts equipped cars, mine's a Delco version. They could be fine or worse, maybe someone can comment on that?

ps: As for commentary; I'll bet there's a bunch of parts available in Cuba, either reman or new, but we haven't traded since the 60's for stupid political reasons. These cars were shipped all over, and we're the former manufacturing country not the last. So there's always what you want at a price. I don't see any issues with electrical components because they can usually be rebuilt ad infinitum. It's just the inconvience of not sourcing locally or OEM/NOS.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 14:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From what I've heard many of the older cars in Cuba have had their engines replaced with mostly Russian tractor and truck engines with corresponding Russian electricals.

My catalog listes NAPA/Echlin dimmer switch DS-102 as correct for Packard from 1942 thru 1958, all models - that number is correct (I've installed a few) and I'd suspect the crossover to DS-133 was the error. DS-133 isn't even listed in the vintage NAPA/Echlin catalog.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 14:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not to argue. FYI -all.
DS-102 does not currectly show on NAPA.com or at store.
Apparently, from the paper in the box, DS-102, et al, were incorporated into redesign of DS-101 - which is very available. I posted on Xref. The original on my car was Delco but no number visible.

Posted on: 2013/9/13 12:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved