Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 229

Don B, Frogmagic, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Third Series SIX rod bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Does anyone know if a modern replacement with slight modification can be used in the restoration of these engines?
Originally they were babbited.
Our late Third Series SIX...one of the rod babbits disintegrated, and I find that another bearing is worn thin.
I know that the 1937 Super Eight can use a Mopar slant six bearing, so I wondered if any modern adaptation has been discovered for the Third Series Six.

I await your responses to our problem...

Bob and Gail

Posted on: 2013/9/9 21:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Third Series SIX rod bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear bujak:

Finally someone else out there who knows about those slant six main bearings fitting Packard rods. I even knew people who used epoxy to hold them in place and drove 20,000 miles.

Unfortunately, according to Packard, insert bearing rod conversion was not an authorized update for 6th series and earlier cars. They said that the seventh series and later crankshafts used a hardening process.

So I would stick with Babbitt bearings. Especially if the crankshaft is staying in the car.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Third Series SIX rod bearings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I fully agree with Tim, stick with babbitt; assuming a good crank and good babbitt work and that you don't flog the engine, you should expect plenty of engine life. One of the best sources for Babbitt work is Paul's Rod & Bearing.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved