Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 232

BigKev, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Some Packards and others Down-Under
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Peter, Since you were the one who raised the topic of RHD Packard 12's I would be curious to know what YOU were inbibing if not beer?

Posted on: 2008/8/5 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
I think it was a reas. question. The car in the photo I was referring to, is a '39 V-12. As I noted, it was my understanding, that to register a car for street use in Australia, it HAD to be RIGHT hand drive. Turns out that assumption, if it was ever ENTIRELY correct, is not correct now.

In either event, we all come in here for pretty much the same thing - to see what we can do to learn, and to help, regarding Packards. I did not say it is IMPOSSIBLE to convert a Packard V-12 to right hand drive; but I sure as hell would be surprised if it was EVER tried ANYWHERE.

Given the differences between the Packard Twelve ENGINE, its RUNNING gear (no, it is not the same as the Super Eights - suspension components, exhaust component diameter, frame, etc. all thicker, heavier, than the Super Eights) I remain fairly certain there is, was, and never will be any such thing as a RIGHT hand drive Packard V-12.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 16:22
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I would certainly agree with Packard Twelve fan that there will probably never be a RHD Packard Twelve. However, on the differences with the Super Eight many of these are subtle differences to accomodate the extra 750 lbs engine mass. The frame is 8 1/8 deep versus 8 inches deep, the frame thickness is 5/32 versus 1/8th. I believe that the steering gear, column, firewall, and transmission are the same. I am not sure about the steering crank. I would not like to be the first to do the conversion. But then again I recently fitted a 1954 327 and Packard R6 OD to a 38 1601 and it is a very interesting fitment.
Yes you are probably correct that the alcohol that lossens the tongue or keyboard usually loosens the gas bottles to alter some automotive items as well. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/8/5 19:15
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would bet ANYBODY a V12 Packard that if you bring a V12 Packard over to Eric's Packard Research and Development Laboratory that I can make it RHD, and make it look nice. Plus use original Packard parts in the process. If I didn't have to use all original parts, and could use a hydraulic clutch, it would be even easier. Don't ask about the cost, though!

Posted on: 2008/8/5 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, especially Packard Twelve fan. The point you raised about being puzzled on the presence of the 39 Twelve in Australia is very relevant given our obvious RHD registration bias. I meant to mention, but forgot to, that the 39 Twelve was imported into Australia about 15 years ago by Max Hood, about 10 years after the laws changed, allowing them to be registered as Historic Vehicles. We have a number of other Twelves in Australia, including a 34 Dietrich Coupe. The last Twelve that I know was sold new into Australia was in 1936 and this vehicle (sedan) was very accident damaged and then restored as a convertible coupe. The owner ( Graham Ashmore) died a few years ago and the unfinished car went to the US, along with his 54 Carribean. They both remained LHD. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/8/6 2:54
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Eric - I am not picking on you personally - just commenting on the nature of the times - these days, people seem less concerned with "precision of thought", and more interested in just "proving a point" without regard to the facts.

I am sure, having watched your posts over the years, that you are a nice guy and a damn good and inventive mechanic. But why stick your nose into a subject you are not familiar with ? Again - this is a rhetorical question - NOT picking on you personally.

C'mon..man...WHAT "Packard Original Parts" to convert a Twelve over to RIGHT hand drive ? Dosnt it embarss you just a BIT that there are people in here who DO know just a bit about the technical and engineering differences between Packard eight CYL. cars, (with which you are obviously VERY competent and familiar) and Packard TWELVE cyl. cars ?

Hydraulic clutch ? Eh ? You ever actually SEEN a Packard V-12 car with the floor-boards out ?

Our Australian friend has confirmed my suspicions and answered my questions. Please..please - I am sure ALL of us value your imput when you are discussing technical matters in your MANY areas of competence.

When you can tell me what pages of the PACKARD STORES (Packard's name in the earlier years for their Parts Dept. Book) I have over-looked, THEN I will be impressed with your comments on Packard V-12's.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Peter, After Eric is done converting your '38 12 to RHD he wants to transplant a Pratt and Whitney PT6A turbo prop engine from a DH Turbo Beaver into your Lake amphib.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Bring your car on over Petey, and I'll not only make it RHD, but I'll put the steering column in the back seat so your mother in law can drive it.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
First of all, I dont have a mother-in-law. Used to, but she is long gone. Lovely lady. Loved my Packard Twelve. But she never learned to drive ! She was a genteel old southern lady who "knew" that "nice girls dont drive, smoke, or chew tobacco". Fortunately, her daughter, when I married her, while PRETENDING to be a nice girl when she was in hearing range of her parents...well.....but that's another story. Point is, we needed the room of the back seat of the Twelve for...so I dont want the steering wheel moved back there because...oh...forget it...this is getting a bit too kinky and off the subject for a technical chat.......!

Secondly, if you can figure out a way to get more power into my Lake amphib, I will kiss you on both cheeks, even tho " I am not normally "that kind" of guy"....!

Anyway, why in hell would I want RHD in my Packard Twelve? I live in the NORTHERN hemisphere. Not like those crazy Aussies, who live way down there...upside down. Can you imagine how that must hurt after a few years..I mean..walking around upside down...damn..think of the headaches they must get....

Posted on: 2008/8/6 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I know exactly what you mean Pete, my wife was so upset about the sale of my '56 Patrician for same reason of back seat.

As for your lake amphib, what model do you have? It might be time for a turboprop upgrade to get a little more power to it.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 23:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved