Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Winter is acumin in and all that....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
So how do you prep your car for winter (and do tell us what part of which country you are in).

I'm assuming you do more than park it and lock the door to the garage.

What do you do for mice or other critters (and what critters do you have to deal with)? My brother sold his vintage car because the pack rats were so bad in his area; and you?

Posted on: 2013/9/14 2:44
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Winter is acumin in and all that....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I'm in Colorado and so far this year we've had fires and now floods so I'm expecting that we're going to have a harsh winter.

So for as long as I've lived here (since 1996), we haven't had issues with rats, but field mice can be a problem. Somebody told me to put dryer sheets (Bounce or generic equivalent) in areas that the mice are a problem in the car. I think that setting off bug bombs might help with spiders and such.

As far as winterizing, I do the normal maintenance, but I do get some chances to drive them when weather permits (so I don't have to 'mothball' the cars during the winter). It also gives me a chance to do major and minor mechanical repairs.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 7:20
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It gets cold here in NJ during the winter, below freezing often though rarely below 0 deg. so I generally don't used the cars between early Dec. and late March. Storage is in a non-attached garage w/o heat. I wash the exterior and vacuum the interiors, usually wax the chromium plate with paste wax, do my annual oil change and grease job, lube the door latches, distributor, generator, hood and trunk hinges, check steering gear box for oil, etc. Wash and reoil in the oil filler cap. Put a few extra psi into the tires. Check antifreeze and change if the 2nd year. Give a good look-over to the hoses and belts. Disconnect the battery and sometimes remove it to the cellar of the house; if I leave the battery in the car I'll put the trickle charger on overnight once a month. For the 34 with a wool interior I close the windows and put in mothballs. I cover the oil filler, crankcase breather, tail pipes and carburetor intake with plastic baggies, and then cover the car. Never had an issue with critters.

I usually have one or two maintenance chores either in the fall before layup, or in the spring; things like repacking wheel bearings, adjusting brakes, drain flush and refill the differential or standard transmission, etc. Occasionally a radiator flush, remove a starter, generator or distributor for inspection, etc.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Here in Oregon, we don't get long periods of cold weather. The longest period I can remember was about a week (What we here call a Silver Thaw) and that happens every 5 to 6 years or so (we're due for one this Winter) so I drive mine whenever it isn't pouring down rain and we usually have at least one day a week in the winter when it isn't raining.

Critters can be a problem - mice especially. Do the dryer sheets like "Bounce" really keep them out. I've heard stories but have never heard someone say "Yes, I use them and I haven't had any mice since". So if someone does and it works, I'd like to know for future reference.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 11:20
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I'm living in the Oslo area, on the first winter day the 14th of October I storage my Clipper in a heated garage/work shop for the winter, outside temps down to -13F (untill April next year when the snow has melted).
I do the normal service: change engine oil and filter, lube the car, clean and reoil the filters etc. This winter I will change the brake fluid and anti freeze, repack wheel bearings, replace the rear mufflers and adjust the brakes.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/9/14 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
If the antifreeze level in the coolant is a known safe level, I don't do anything. For me the really important maintenance is taking it out of storage in the spring before the first fire-up.

Oil and filter change, lubrication, new spark plugs, every other year flush the cooling system and brake system.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/9/14 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
When there is no snow on the roads and they are dry I've been known to take a drive in my 38 all through the winter months.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 16:59
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Winter here means the beginning of car season, as you won't sweat your Arse off in car car without AC.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 23:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Kev, I thought that winter there meant that you need to bring the cat inside at night

Posted on: 2013/9/15 11:05
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Winter in Austin is the best season to drive our Packards. I often liken our summers as our "Minnesota Winters". The difference is if you go out without protective clothing in Austin in the summer, you will not die, but if you go out in Minnesota in the winter without protective clothing, you will. Maybe we should have a forum for summertime storing of our cars.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/15 11:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved