Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 97

29tons, indhd20s, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fake or Find?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is one in Hemmings. It's a 6th series speedster with the usual mention of Rabble Beach. Maybe it went by in a trailer. I never heard of this one and they don't show a motor number. It has late 6th series fenders and early 6th series pedals. And a non-folding windshield (6th folding, 7th series non-folding). Under hood is pretty much a disaster area. Not a bad use of parts if it's a phony.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.20 KB)
373_5234f76f84483.jpg 700X525 px

Posted on: 2013/9/14 18:55
 Top  Print 

Re: Fake or Find?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Welll here's another 1 for fake or find

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4053924923.html

Posted on: 2013/9/14 18:57
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Tim Cole hits the nail on the head with regard to this one. Thanks, Tim.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 14:42
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dano55400
See User information
I like this new thread and I'm sure its the topic of many purist as to what passes as a fake. I mentioned in one thread about my friends father making fake convertibles. Making the bows is tough..lol

Posted on: 2013/9/29 20:36
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
What are the visible differences between early and late Sixth Series fenders?

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Gun:

Early sixth series fenders do not have a bead. The very late 6th series have rubber pedal pads, so the car can have beaded fenders with the stirrup pedal. That part of what I wrote was not accurate.

The Packard plant was running wide open in 1928 and they carried over 4th and 5th series bodies, but halfway through started mounting the Dietrich designs.

1929 was a weird year because they were throwing a mix of parts together. 1932 was another weird one because they had early and late cars too.

I was at the Ford museum and wanted to see their 29 Speedster and have been informed that it has gone to permanent storage. I wondered about a private viewing,and if they don't want it, maybe I ought to buy it. Just joking. I don't think I would if offered because the touring car version just drives me nuts.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 17:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
One more thing to think about ... car dealers were known to customize cars to meet the requests of potential owners, especially late in the season. I'm not say Tim Cole's find is necessary genuine, only that is conceivable that it could be the real thing.

As far as Pebble Beach is concerned, this car could have only made it as far as the visitors parking lot!

Posted on: 2013/10/3 19:00
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Thanks very much. There is only one known 6-26 speedster phaeton, and it was delivered with a rear cowl. I have seen it, and also have seen the paper work. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 20:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I have always found the low 6th series speedster survival rate curious. However, the motor numbers are supposed to be unique. It may be they blew up because the 7th series used a better crankshaft or less were produced than thought.

The only proven one is the Ford Museum unit and now it is sequestered. If more are out there that's great. Cars do come and go, but over all these decades the Ford copy is the only proved car.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 22:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4142118460.html

How does this 1407 body (139" wb) fit on a 1401 (134" wb)?

Posted on: 2013/10/22 10:17
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved