Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Smoking Straight 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Oil filter is optional, and would be on the driver's front side of the engine. See this pic, the oil filter's right in front of the oil filler.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/7/30 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Turbop-man,

Glad you enjoyed my "'Mal'function" wise crack. I have no copyright on that, so it's 'public domain'. (Or maybe 'PInfo domain' since you need to get the 'Mal' play on words/names to get the humor.) Use it as it fits or brings smiles.

Just don't beat up 'Mal' with it. He is a great 'Senior Correspondent' So let us all keep smilin'

DanL

Posted on: 2008/7/31 11:23
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Don't worry, it's use will be timely and functional..... Just wait and see!

Posted on: 2008/7/31 13:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

41ParPack wrote:........Just don't beat up 'Mal' with it.........DanL

Guys,

My brother has been using the same quip for about 50 years, so I'm used to it!

Posted on: 2008/7/31 14:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Patrick J. Guerin
See User information
I just got my 51' "300" running last weekend for the first time in 20yrs (I was told that the last time it was running was late 80's, it's been in a pole barn in Monroe, MI under a cover ever since). All it needed was a new ignition coil and an electrical tune up kit, but when she fired boy was there a lot of continuous white smoke as well coming from the so called "breather hole". I let her run for about 45min at idle, I did not goose her at all but suprisingly the smoke did go away as previously stated. I have since started it a few times just to let her run and get broken back in but now with out the smoke!! In other words great advice!!! This website has get to be the single greatest point for useful information on Packards!!

Posted on: 2008/7/31 15:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Here is a funny story about breaking in an old car that has been sitting for a long time.

How is your oil pressure? If you have decent oil pressure and compression is not too bad, and there are no raps or knocks from the engine you should try running it in before you do anything drastic.

I used to know an old Englishman who was nuts about English cars, or maybe just nuts. His name was Derek Arnold.

Once he bought a Morris Minor convertible in a junkyard in California. The carburetor was missing but he cabbaged one off a Ford Consul and bolted it on. Then he fired the car up and headed for home.

Not top, temporary plates, and a car that had been sitting in a junkyard for 10 years.

He said it burned a quart of oil every 50 miles when he started. So he bought a case of oil and kept topping it up. The more he drove it the better it ran, and the less oil it burned. By the time he got home, 3500 miles, it did not burn any oil at all.

I would suggest you service the car, tune it up, and change the oil in the engine,add a can of Rislone, change the oil in the trans, rear axle,and steering box, lubricate the chassis etc. then drive the car around.

Take it for a drive of 10 miles or so. Then 20, then 50. If everything checks out take it for a 100 mile trip. Keep a close watch for problems and fix any that crop up. By the end of the summer you should have a good running car.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You should also check everything made of rubber and replace as necessary. Fan belt, rad hoses, heater hoses, brake hoses. Under the hood especially these parts get mummified and dried out or cracked from the heat and oil.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 15:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mal, A lady at work, whose first name was Queenie, used to delight in calling me Mal-function. I used to warn her that someone with such an unusual first name should be more careful but she just chortled. Us gents with distinguished first names are above that sort of thing

Posted on: 2008/7/31 20:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved