Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Parts info?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
So I have been doing a lot of searching because I now have the deal done, I am a new owner of a 53 Mayfair that is finally going to be here next week, I have been looking for all the parts I need but can't really pin down one place to get everything and was wondering where everyone recommends getting all these parts? All new distributor internals (points condenser all that good stuff), I need a carb rebuild kit (ck448) from what I can tell), and I was wondering if any one has a lead on where I can get patch panels or quarter panels? also I was wondering if any one will have any in site on what I might want to get or look for before I try firing it up because it has been sitting for a yr but ran good before then, he said he parked it because he got in it one day and had no brakes out of no where and didn't have money for some one to look at it. Also I was curious if any one knows about possible electronic ignition conversion kits or an hei that possibly swaps over? Thank you guys for any help.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 22:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Parts info?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I need a carb rebuild kit ...

RON HEWITT
DAYTONA PARTS COMPANY
1191 TURNBULL BAY ROAD
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL 32168
PH:386-427-7108
FX:386-423-8528
www.daytonaparts.com

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/9/21 22:44
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... also I was wondering if any one will have any in site on what I might want to get or look for before I try firing it up because it has been sitting for a yr ...

You might want to consider some of the advice in this post from our member Dave Czirr.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... Also I was curious if any one knows about possible electronic ignition conversion kits or an hei that possibly swaps over? ...

Try to get in contact with Mike (Tobs), who will give you good advice.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I have been looking for all the parts I need ...

Here you'll find many spare parts:

Kanter

Max Merritt

Packard Parts Online

Posted on: 2013/9/21 23:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Also one thing I forgot, is any one running at high elevation? The car has been close to sea level and is now coming up to almost a mile high, does any one run this high that would have a close idea of carb settings that I can start with and go from there? Thanks again, thus far great info has been posted and is helping greatly!

Posted on: 2013/9/22 0:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
See this link to a thread in the Shows and Events Forum. Therein is a further link to a story by a '54 Patrician owner who drove it cross country at all elevations.

Posted on: 2013/9/22 1:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
When waking up a "sleeping beauty" car you need to change all the fluids (fuel, oil, coolant, brake fluid). The fuel is the worst because it evaporates and leave horrible stuff behind in the tank. In the past I have started an engine with a small clean auxiliary tank and gravity feed to the carb. A small tank can be from a lawn mover or a motorbike. Just hang it above the carb to let the fuel flow down without needing a fuel pump. Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

Before cranking the engine change the oil and filter so you go not run the old gunk through the bearings. Take the spark plugs out, put some light oil in the cylinders. Then turn the engine 2 or more revolutions by hand to make sure it is not stuck. Use a hand crank or wrench on the front pully bolt. If it turns freely then spin it over with the starter and make sure there is oil pressure or at least some oil flow. Without oil flow the engine likely will be ruined if it starts. Then you can put in spark plugs and try to start it. Do not run it long without coolant in it.

Also make sure the transmission has oil in it before running the engine. I blew a transmission bearing once by running an engine on a dry transmission with the transmission in neutral.

Best of luck on starting her up.

On the Packard parts there are several good sources. Start with Max Merrick and Kanter.

Posted on: 2013/9/22 9:57
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Look at the parts cross ref on this web site-a lot of stuff maybe available at Napa and then there is ebay!!!

Posted on: 2013/9/22 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
High altitude can deal you many troubles. Water boils at lower temps, so you need the cooling system to be first rate. Gasoline vapor lock is also a problem, so an electric fuel pump should be considered. Setting the ignition timing a couple of degrees more than specified will help too. Also, carburetor re-jetting would be in order as standard set-up will result in too rich a mixture. Basically you loose 3% efficiency for every 1,000 feet above sea level.

I would drop and clean the oil pan and pump pick-up screen, and refill the crankcase with new oil before attempting to start the engine. Do this beyond just draining and refilling with new oil.

Good luck.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/1 22:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved