Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Packard and Yale photo
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Boland
See User information
I thought some of you might be interested in the background of the photo of my '40 coupe with the Yale trainer. First a brief history of the Yale. Known officially as the NA-64 , it was built for several countries as a basic trainer early in WW2. Quite a few were shipped to France and were even used by the Luftwaffe after becoming spoils of war. Many more were turned around in mid-Atlantic after the fall of France and used by the RCAF in the British Commonwealth Air Training Program.After the war, they were sold off as surplus or scrapped. An old acquaintance of mine , Ernest Simmons ,a farmer from near Delhi, Ontario , bought 36 of them ! The story goes that he figured he could sell them back to the RCAF for a profit if we declared war on Russia ! Ernie had a large collection of old motorcycles as well. Unfortunately ,they attracted the wrong crowd. Ernie was shot seven times in his own yard by thieves and died of pneumonia a few weeks later.The resulting auction sale took three auctioneers three days to complete. Quite a few of Ernie's aircraft have since been restored (the auction was in 1970) and two were present at the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association's Wings and Wheels show recently. I received permission to pose these two 1940s together as a tribute to Ernie.
Jim

Attach file:

jpg  (79.20 KB)
5270_52403376e0683.jpg 876X657 px

Posted on: 2013/9/22 19:24
1940 110 Business Coupe (1388)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved