Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Packard Don, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Name that part ! ? ! ? !
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
Well, , , in the trunk of my 1953 Clipper Deluxe was an extra added attraction. I can't see where this part belongs on my 1953 model.

My dear 94 year-old friend who gifted the Packard to my wife and I is a bit foggy on the details. He does have a number of other vintage cars (including two Packards) in his stable, so it could be from a different make or model.

Does anyone know what this belongs to ? It's about 9 1/2 inches long with three holes in each end. The two smaller outer holes are threaded. My guess is a power brake vacuum booster. It is stamped "Inlet L-8" on one end, and has a "Front Outlet" stamp on the other.

If you can identify it, , , you might win it as a prize :o)

Thanks for your assistance.

Best regards,

Dave Blandford

Attach file:

jpg  (38.80 KB)
506_48911009aac9d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/7/30 20:06
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print   

Re: Name that part ! ? ! ? !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It looks like a late '30s Packard oil filter.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 20:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
Here's a view of the end of the part.

Best regards,

Dave B.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.01 KB)
506_4891119d0d4ff.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/7/30 20:13
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Still looks like a late '30s oil filter...

Posted on: 2008/7/30 20:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Purolator L-8. Up to 39 Senior cars oil filter, I think from about 33 to 39. Also fits some of the other classic era cars, but more to the point, the core value of this is about 50 bucks is due to the demand for spin on oil filter conversions. There are at least two fellows doing this, cut in half, install a cast/machined aluminum adapter plate for a standard Ford filter, and add threads to each half to put back in original location....

Posted on: 2008/7/30 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it's a Purolator L-8 oil filter. However, the 1934 Eights & Super Eights (not sure about the Twelves) used the Purolater L-6 which was almost identical but rather than the end bosses with the inlet/outlet and threaded holes for a mounting plate, the L-6 just had a NPT threaded inlet and outlet. By making (or buying) adapters you can use an L-8 in an L-6 application. They are both full-flow filters and as 1933 didn't have the full-flow system, I don't think the L-6/L-8 series dates back to 1933, at least for Packard.

EDIT: I know it's a bit off the topic, but thought I'd add a warning here. NOS L-6 and L-8 filters were not that easy to find, even 30 years ago, so many of us bought newly manufactured units from Bob Turnquist and these were satisfactory tho expensive. But every so often I see an NOS one appear on eBay and hope the buyer never uses it (or an equally vintage cartridge filter) as I've seen several cases where the filter internal paper media and adhesives, though "new", were so deteriorated that the hot oil and pressure turned them into paper paste which in turn choked oil passages, pump inlet screens, etc., and you can imagine the consequences. In these cases the filters may have been stored in a less-than-ideal environment, but I sure wouldn't want to take a chance on one.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 22:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved