Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Towing capacity of a 1940 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Some friends are selling their home, buying a sailboat and heading east, where boat is located.

It got me thinking. What if I did that? Would the Duchess be able to tow a sailboat so I could live here in Portland, then the Bay Area, Monterey, and San Diego, onboard, then drive around each area.

After the drive to Pebble Beach and back, I've caught wanderlust. For a single guy, it's sounds like a great life for someone winding down.

I wonder how many pounds I could tow and what would work for a hitch.

Does anyone tow anything with a Packard? Maybe a Airstream trailer or a teardrop? Maybe more musing than reality, but still.

There's a great line of sailboats of the Santana brand and the famous one named by Humphrey Bogart that is being restored again.

Any advice?

Posted on: 2013/10/2 16:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Towing capacity of a 1940 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Joe:

I wouldn't do it.

You need to have new brake drums and OEM asbestos linings.

Besides the extra strain on the powertrain you are liable to crack up because of brake fade.

I've travelled the world and have to admit it's a lot more fun than cars. My only wish is that if the economies of the world weren't in such sad shape I might have lived in Paris, Moscow, and a few more exotic countries.

If you want to try boats then why not just live on one. That way you can sail around from port to port. Problem is, once you start checking into places where they are having parties, you might forget about those Packards.

I've lived in small towns and big cities, the jungle and the desert, ritzy places and run down old mansions. I've lived a short walk from the Jazz district were I stepped out the front door into a 24 hour party. Done way more than Jack Kerouac who supposedly had one of the highest IQ's on record with the US Navy.

It's not the best to way make money but it's better than a movie.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Sounds like way more fun, Tim.

Yes, live on the boat is the idea. All I need is to make two trips, then search for a friend who can sail or drive the Packard, and it's a done deal. Wher-er-er-er-er is she? With a boat, a Packard and a puppy, could be a lot of trial and error trying to find her... and maybe as much fun as some people have.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 18:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, this could be a wonderful experience. My daughter and son-in-law have a 20' sail boat. It tows easily with their Subaru Outback and my Ford Ranger. Both are 6-cylinder vehicles. The Packard should be able to handle this, but I agree towing a boat presents many problems. What is the availability or rental boats? You can rent many boats for the price of buying one plus all the maintenance costs.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/3 10:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
You can rent many boats for the price of buying one plus all the maintenance costs.

That maintenance is apparently ongoing and can't be skimped on. One of the guys I worked with lives on a boat year round. Once his kids were on their own he and his wife wanted to do as you contemplate. Sold their house and bought the boat. I guess they take it out for periods but right before I retired he was lamenting having to spend several thousand dollars to do something to the thing -- think it was paint or some kind of hull treatment. Anyway, it had to be pulled out of the water for a period of time & has to be done every 2-3 years on boats kept in salt water. A big deal apparently. I think I'd rather spend money on a house -- or a Packard.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Well you know what boat stands for:
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Posted on: 2013/10/3 11:07
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The cautions about brakes took me back on top of the ridge at Big Sur, facing 2.8 miles down on a one-line road of several steep switchbacks and wondering if my brakes would hold. I made it, of course, but not asking to tempt fate.

I don't know how to calculate of the towing weight of a boat, but my friends' are buying one with 22,000 lbs displacement wt and 8,500 lbs ballast weight. It's 40 ft. yacht. Obviously a commitment, but if you live on it, you may be saving something. And it seems to be a more interesting way to live than what buying a $130k home offers. Airplanes are worse for maintenance because of safety regs.
You can't live on them. (I know you're thinking of posting an old fuselage made into a home. That won't fly.) So I'm going to explore this idea further, having the Packard and a boat residence.

One thing I learned having the Duchess out in her public and in everyday life. People are very respectful. They usually ask if they can take a photo. I wondered if my attitude about access would change after restoration from what it was before, when I drove her every day. It hasn't. The experience of leaving it in the grocery store parking lot and coming out to see a few people admiring it or taking pictures restored my confidence that this is okay for me to do. I can leave it on the street and see a movie without worrying. So I think around a harbor where people hang out because they have business there and, I imagine, form a sort of community there, the Duchess would be safe. Exposure might be a problem if there's no protected garage nearby.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Maybe you need to turn it around, why not a boat big enough to take the packard with you?

Attach file:

gif  (409.06 KB)
5061_524dc8d43ec34.gif 1047X685 px

Posted on: 2013/10/3 14:43
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (7.14 KB)
1067_524dc9a343a95.jpg 230X173 px

Posted on: 2013/10/3 14:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved