Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Can anyone demystify interior trim codes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm headed to the upholstery shop tomorrow and I have not been able to find my 2365 interior trim code info. PAC says in '49 checkered cloth is only used on the custom, but I'm Deluxe and original. I thought it was two contrasting colors, grey-blue & tan but after I took the rear window moulding off, the solid color is grey not tan (faded) under there where the sun didn't shine for 64 years. The "hounds tooth" check has "matching" tan spaces, so I'm not sure if it's two tone blue-grey/grey or grey-blue/tan? The vinyl parts/piping are all blue.
The only numbers I have are on the metal seat cushion tags, and they don't correspond to anything in the parts book? They have 414774&5 codes(front/rear), but it shows 2578XX's and asks to specify "trim set number" in the part book for 2365. There's no number stamped on the trim code place on the "VIN" plate. The little body code tag has the exact same number as the "VIN" model#-sequence#.
There's some stenciled numbers in the hog ring margin on the back seat cloth, but it's stitched over. The only interior picture I came across has the grey pin stripe cloth.
Any HELP! Point me?
If it isn't one thing, it's something else???

Posted on: 2013/10/2 17:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Can anyone demystify interior trim codes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
According to the Parts Manual, the 2365 had 4 trim options. The options were; 61, 66, 68 and 69. That decodes to:

61 - TAN BEDFORD CORD
66 - GRAY BLUE BROADCLOTH WITH GRAY AND BLUE STRIPE
68 - GRAY CHECKERED BROADCLOTH
69 - TAN STRIPED BROADCLOTH

Did you look for the build sheet on top of the glovebox and/or wedged in between the fuel vent tube and fuel filler pipe? It would have the original trim code.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 17:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks, JD.
It looks like it must be 68.
I haven't got to tearing out the dash yet, that's coming up soon as I prep for sheet metal work. I doubt any paper survived in readable condition, but I was appraised of that location just haven't got to it. I was hoping to find a source just in case. There was nothing around the gas tank except spiders.
Where do I find what a 68 (actually) means? i.e. type of cloth(s)/where designated, or color/manuf code(s), or trim details? Is there a trim book or research somewhere? I'll see what the upholstery guy comes up with and if we can't find, I call the museum. Or anyone else with leads?
ps:I saw the 60 numbers but I didn't see the description in there, it's 214 pages, so I might have missed. I referenced 3 levels of trim based on a 22xx series. It doesn't explain the seat tag numbers though?
Making progress...

Posted on: 2013/10/3 8:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 414774 & 414775 numbers can be found in the numerical index at the back of the parts book which shows the Group number where they are listed. In this case, the Group numbers are 30.908 and 30.941 which cover the seat spring assemblies for front and rear seats respectively.

No help in identifying the trim code however as that depends on what material was used to cover the springs.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 15:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Other than a good luck trying to find that checked material, upholstery guy wasn't much help w/ ID.
So I'll try some more places.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the 22nd tan/brown check as used on the Eight is to the best of my knowledge unobtanium. Don't expect a quick answer

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
U R right, it's not a good sign when the biggest source of fabric search starts off with 1950 and yours is '49...
They used to call me "one out of the money".
We'll put something on there even if it's dog blankets!
I'm starting to think I'll be making rubber parts with my left hand, weaving upholstery fabric with my right, doing chrome plating with one foot, and bodywork with the other. Looks like the mechanicals will have to wait. ha, HA, HAAA!
The glass guy sez his machine got struck by lightnin.
The local chrome shop sed they don't do retail anymore.
SC can't find my title paperwork.
I like a challenge! Even when it was sitting there infested, I look but see beyond all that when I see that motor car...

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
U R right, it's not a good sign when the biggest source of fabric search starts off with 1950 and yours is '49...

The 23rd series spanned mid 1949-1950 so... any fabric valid for 1950 is valid for your 1949.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 17:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I have a source of NOS houndstooth cloths. Samples on the way, but I'm still not able to determine what the real color is supposed to be - definitively. Seat cloth looks like it's tan with ~3/8" blue/grey check, but the solid cloth (door panels/headliner) look tan but under the rear molding it's lt. grey. The under side of the seat cloth is pretty good, and I've washed some and think the tan is in the check, I'll match that as close as I can, but that don't explain the solids. It was a smoker car, the visor is like beef jerky on one side but who's wasn't back then. I'm scouring some more. I'll get there...Shake'n the trees.
I found the seat number in the parts list thanks to Kaz, it's almost at the end so I didn't go far enough. I wish I had the covered assy number instead... At least it tells me the seat are original like I thought. Looks like a glove box dive today after I go down and sit in line at the title bureau to raise some. Thank you all.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 8:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm getting warmer. Waiting on a headliner. Upholstery shop & Packard guy said these all had the same headliner. I found recent pictures of another "restored" 2365 that has the same original door panels and they're the same color. This picture had incorrect single cloth seat re-upholstery probably for the same reason, hard to obtain. But I solved that one but haven't got my cloth shipment yet.
So I'm leaning toward the four options of trim code # (for deluxe 2 dr) only refers to the seat cloth - making the most sense. Everything else is apparently the same. The other models/series appear to have used all vinyl and/or leather. Once I figure it out you'll be able to tell me you could have told me that...I told that CIA witness protection guy, this restorer cover probably wouldn't work. OOOPS!

Posted on: 2013/11/16 9:59
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved