Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Gas Tank Relining
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Howdy,
Yes I have lots of question and you guys have some great answers..I really appreciate that.
Here's the latest.
I need to clean out the gas tank on my 55 Clipper and want to know the most effective way to clean and re-line the tank.
Should I take out to be done or would I be able to do it myself.
The nearest radiator shop is about a half hour away and their ad says that they fix gas tanks.
Thanks in advance for all of your input.
55clipperguy

Posted on: 2008/8/1 11:16
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print 

Re: Gas Tank Relining
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For my $.02, if the shop is reasonable that would be the way to go.

I've used the stuff sold by Hirsch and by others with mixed results plus it's a fair amount of work and time consuming. If the tank has much debris inside, it's not very easy to get all out completely. When you slosh the stuff inside, it's imperative to cover every inch and drain out the excess and also be careful to let dry in such a position to not allow any excess to collect in the depression where the pickup tube is. Then there is the compatibility with all the crap they put in gas issue. All in all, not the best way to spend a day IMHO.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 11:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
For my $.02 Canadian I would also take it to the radiator shop and let them clean it out rather than play with gas tank flushes and sealers.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 12:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Two 2 cent opinions are fine with me..I'll call the shop and get'r done.
Thanks again guys!

Posted on: 2008/8/1 12:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I used GAS TANK RE-NU on my 67 Plymouth and it worked great for the 9 years I had the car. They are a franchise that re coats the inside and outside of the tank with a rubberized epoxy coating. They have a couple of dealers in the Detroit area and advertise in Hemmings. It cost about $350 or so but it was worth it and they guarantee against leaks for as long as you own the car.

I'd still be driving that Plymouth, but along came this Packard..... you folks know the rest of the story!

Posted on: 2008/8/1 14:47
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
55ClipperGuy

I restored a really rusty tank with a POR15 gas tank repair kit. I had the tank boiled out at a radiator shop (hard to find one that would do it), then followed the instructions with the kit. It cost about $100 to get the tank boiled out, plus the POR15 kit ($75-80) and the price of some paint to re-shoot the outside of the tank. It was a bit labor intensive but I would do it that way again.

Scott

Posted on: 2008/8/1 18:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Does anyone know if these fuel tank relining "kits" will work with alcohol?

Posted on: 2008/8/1 20:35
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Eric,

From the POR-15 website's "Standard Tank Sealer" page: it says their sealer is "impervious to all fuels, including the new Stage II fuels which have a high alcohol content." Hope that helps.

Scott

Posted on: 2008/8/1 21:12
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
I had a radiator shop in WV re-line my 1948 20 gal tank for about $50; I thought it was very reasonable.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 21:23
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I called the radiator shop on Friday and was told that it would be "$150 or more."
"Of course if you'd like us to paint the outside with epoxy ..the total would be about $350."
Uh..no thanks I'll paint the outside with Por-15 and pocket the diff..
As soon as I mentioned Packard Clipper I think the guy was thinking..'hey this guy's got some extra dough...'
Well this guy doesn't..

Posted on: 2008/8/3 7:17
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved