Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Kanter rear gas shocks for '54 Patrician...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
...Does any one have any experience with the Kanter gas shocks on a '51-'54? I installed them, and much to my dismay, discovered during a brake job that the towers are too short to allow the wheel to drop fully for removal. Does any one have experience with this? I've contacted Stu @ Kanter, who has been regrettably inattentive.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 10:07
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Kanter rear gas shocks for '54 Patrician...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
This may be a silly question, but you did remove the fender skirt right? My rear shocks are from sandy chirco and travel far enough. No experience from the ones from K.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 10:17
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe Stuart is enroute to the Hershey AACA show. There are other folks in the Packard Dept. there, I suggest you try one of them.

Also, you can get gas-filled shocks from NAPA or other auto parts stores - stock item though I forget the applications. Just measure the maximum extended length and minimum compressed lengths of the old units, along with the type of upper and lower mounting. Any counter man worth his salt should be able to get you the current match. I'm sure Kanter's appreciates the business but it's a case where you can probably save some $ and buy local.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 10:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Yes, I removed the skirt properly and have the car on jack stands.

Unfortunately, I've already bought and installed them from Kanter. Unfortunately, I've made several calls to Stu and unfortunately, he doesn't follow thru. I've learned much thru this experience, but the one thing I'm still looking for is anyone's experience with the gas shocks from Kanter, I'd like to know if they sent me the wrong shocks or they all do this. either way, they need to be swapped out, nit being able to change a tire is a no go.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 12:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wny not call Kanter and ask for Dan Kanter? He's a Packard hobbyist, tours often with his Packards, is a very nice man and I know he'll try to get to the bottom of your problem.

See my PM.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 13:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Hey Guys and Gals

going to install new shocks in the spring. Are the gas shocks better than the hydraulic old time types?

Ken

Posted on: 2013/10/9 5:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'd like to say YES, but all gas-charged shocks are not created equal. Nor are they necessarily equivalent to compression and rebound rates of the OE shocks. Worse yet, some vendors/suppliers will put anything in their catalog that "will fit".

I had excellent results, 25-30 years ago, when I upgraded several GM daily drivers (from model years 1975-1984) to gas-charged shocks - including a couple of sets from Sears and one from the old GM (Delco?) line. However, I had a lot of hassle getting replacement (due to a broken weld on a mounting eye) from Sears (suplier unknown), under their so-called lifetime warranty, but I'll never deal with them again.

Yet, more recently, I was very disappointed with the ride quality from a set of gas-charged GM Goodwrench shocks (relabelled Gabriel product) that I installed on one of my Chevies. I chalk that up as another example of the general decline in quality of goods (and services) in available Amerika.

P.S. - "gas shocks" are still hydraulic units; the gas charge simply helps prevent foaming of the hydraulic oil, which would otherwise (temporarily) compromise the damping effect.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I've had both on my '54 Pat, and the gas charged are clearly superior in terms of ride, handling, and rebound. When you're in there, change over the bushings, too. But note I'm having a serious problem with Kanter's fit as well as their unwillingness to focus on resolution. Stay away.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 10:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nothing really of value to contribute except, that to do really valid comparison of regular to gas-filled, you'd have to have a set of both of equivalent quality (whatever that means) and both "new in the box", install them on the same car and do the same road test to evaluate. Perhaps that's what Bobby did, but I suspect it going to be a rare circumstance to find someone that's done a controlled comparison. Comparing new gas-filled to old standard shocks or versa visa certainly isn't a valid comparison.

When in doubt, perhaps it's best to go with the newer (i.e. gas-filled) technology though owners of T/L cars might remember Bob Allison's admonition against using anything but standard duty shocks on T/L cars.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 11:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Hey Bobby,

Please private message me your invoice number and the address that we shipped your parts to. I will pulled your paper and see what I can found out on our end. Also can I get measurements of the shock that we sent you? I need the extended and collapse length.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products
1-800-526-1096
Ext 316
jfrom@kanter.com

Posted on: 2013/10/9 13:58
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved