Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 217

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd series door latches
Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Does anyone know if a door latch from any other body style will work on a convertible? My parts book lists a different part number for convertibles, but i was wondering if maybe the convertibles had chrome plated latches and the closed cars didn't. My driver side latch is pretty beat up. I have an early production door on the left side with the outside handle that's only held on by one screw. Someone snapped the handle off some time in the past, and i found out why when I installed a new handle. The door doesn't want to open when you pull the handle from the outside. I'd like to replace the latch, but if it's convertible only, I'm sure it will be tough to find and expensive if I do find one.

I was also wondering if it is common to have problems with these latches, as the passenger side doesn't seem to work all that well either. The door opens great using the inside handle, but the latch seems to drag when using the outside handle. The latch on the passenger side is in much better shape than the driver side, and I lubed it up real good to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't.

Thanks, Jeff

Attach file:

jpg  (67.46 KB)
5012_52577c25319ec.jpg 950X713 px

jpg  (75.37 KB)
5012_52577c3099bf6.jpg 950X713 px

jpg  (73.54 KB)
5012_52577c3c43729.jpg 950X713 px

jpg  (84.62 KB)
5012_52577c4a8e8e1.jpg 950X713 px

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd series door latches
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The latch from a sedan could be used by transferring over some of the parts from a convertible latch. The inside lock is different on the convertible as well as 2 pieces that are used for the outside handle due to the greater thickness of the convertible door.

The attached photos show a side by side comparison of sedan and convertible latches.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.78 KB)
1137_525785d995bfb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (50.22 KB)
1137_525785ffb0c42.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/11 0:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Thanks for the quick comparison photos. There are some significant differences in the latches, more than I was hoping for. It might be easier to swap the round piece with the teeth than change all the other pieces. My best bet might be to find a rear latch from a 4 door car with minimum wear and swap the toothed wheel.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/11 1:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I think I have one last pair of NOS convertible latches....I will look and advise on Monday. At Hershey now....

Posted on: 2013/10/11 5:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
"The door opens great using the inside handle, but the latch seems to drag when using the outside handle."

Jeff perhaps this is a dumb comment and I'm speaking from a memory 50 years ago, but on dad's 23rd series when it became my car in high school I found that the outside handle wore and didn't correctly engage the latch.

What had started as a square place on the inner part of the handle had worn rounded. A fellow braised some metal rod on the inner workings of the handle and shaped it back to the proper shape and the doors opened much better.

Anyone else have some comments on that idea?

Jim

Posted on: 2013/10/11 6:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Hi Flackmaster,

Unfortunately, NOS latches probably aren't in the budget, but let me know and I will ask the owner of the car.

Thanks, Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/14 0:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Hi Jim,

The door does the same thing if I stick something in the opening where the handle goes to fully depress the release lever. After studying the latch, I see a lever in the latch that might be a little worn down and causing the problem. It may be possible to slightly bend the part that the lever presses against to get a bit more travel out of the mechanism.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/14 0:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
jeff; with your skills the least expensive fix is to replace the pot metal wheel i have done it on my cars. if u can't find a good wheel i have some repair ones. the lock has to come apart to fix. dell

Posted on: 2013/10/14 8:57

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Hi Dell, That's what I was thinking. I could replace the chrome rivet in the center of the wheel with a polished stainless button head bolt.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/14 23:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved