Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 133

Jack Vines, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 engine color
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Does anyone know the correct engine color for a 1951 327ci. in a model 300? Kanter or maybe it was Max Merrit list the engine paint as gray. My engine has never been out of the car and it is painted green. What gives? Did they change the color at some point during the 51 production year. My car was originally sold in September 51 if that means anything.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 0:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 engine color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your engine should be gray, no question. There is a bit of controversy over whether the change from green to gray occured during the 23rd series (1950) or at the beginning of the 24th series, but no question that all the 51 motors were gray, as were all the engines thru 1954 except the 1954 senior (359) engine which was bronze. Perhaps someone in the past repainted your engine. There are differences with motor mounts, waterpump etc. starting with 1951 so I coubt your motor is an earlier transplant, though anything is possible. Check the motor number if in doubt.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 7:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
The car had 48k miles on it when I got it. As per the original owner the engine had never been out of the car. The engine number is correct and shows on the original 1951 paper work as the VIN number. The paint is has mostly rusted off but the green color shows generally all over as well as on the side of the engine under the intake/exhaust manifold. Don't see any gray paint anywhere. Looks to me like someone would have had to have taken the manifold off just to paint the side of the engine. If I repaint the engine I want it to be the correct color. Sounds like gray would be acceptable to everyone but the green is still a mystery.

As far as the controversy over wether the color changed to gray with the 1950 or 51 models my car sold in September 1951 but as far as I know could have been built much earlier in the production year.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 10:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'm not 100% sure about vehicle numbers in 1951. What is the serial number on the plate? And I don't want to argue with friend Owen but it seems to me that the upchuck green color may have been used on early 51 models just to exhaust that bilious shade before switching to the gray. What would they do with the leftover green? If I was the manager I would have used the old paint before I started on the new. So I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that some early engines may be green. Anyone else want to stick their neck out?

Posted on: 2008/8/2 13:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The change of colors actually started in 1948. I have two model 2279 convertibles, both with 327s of course. They are both gray. I'm second owner of one of them and have documentation of service back to the day it was delivered to the dealer. I believe the 356 maintained the green color for awhile Possibly to 1951. It is possible that some engines were green. But I think the factory changed to gray to indicate the "new" engines for 1948. As you are probably aware the 288 and 327 were considered "new" even if the basis for them was the old 282 that goes as far back as 1935.

I know PI accepts only gray. But if you aren't going for any awards, it's your car and you can paint it any color you like.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 14:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry folks, I made a mistake above. Yes the gray color started with 1948, though there are some unquestionably original 1948 cars with green engines, though they are all (to my knowledge)Custom 8s with 356 engines. And Packard couldn't have been using green on the 356 into 1951 because the 356 engine was discontinued with the 23rd series except for the marine engine series, in which it was painted gray.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 16:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Thanks for all the response. Randy I'm not sure what tag you are referring to. The model information on the tag on the fire wall and the door jam has 2472 on it. The engine number, which in california is used as the VIN, is J406807.

The car was first register/sold in September 1951. Does anyone know when that engine was actually built? Because of the green color could it be a left over 359? The head has the normal 288 ST / 327 AT on the top.

BTW. The cost to register the car new was $25.00. Much different than today.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 11:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The engine number according to the documentation I have should start with J4xxxxx. Perhaps the "3" you are referring to is actually a "J"?

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't be a left-over 359, that engine didn't come out until 1954 and would be painted bronze. And as I said earlier it can't be a left-over 356 because except for the marine engines, that was discontinued at the end of the 23rd series, and besides although I suppose someone might be able to make a 356 fit the 24th series chassis, there is so much that is different like motor mounts, water pump, etc. that's it's somewhat unlikely. My best guess is that although the green paint on your engine may appear original, it probably isn't and it's just an ageing repaint. The "J" prefix is correct for a 24th series (1951) engine.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved