Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 63

Ken_P, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1949 Custom Eight
Just popping in
Just popping in

Andy
See User information
Hello to all. I am new to the forum and a new Packard owner. I have a 1949 Custom 8 Touring Sedan that I want to do a rubber to roof restoration with. There are some aspects that I know a lot about...some I am clueless about. So a few questions regarding fluids that I hope someone could answer.

1. What do you guys use for fuel? I read a lot regarding 87 Octane with Marvel oil in it. And another regarding 92 Octane with the Marvel.

2. Similar question regarding the type of transmission fluid. F-Type or Dextron? I see conflicting comments constantly.

3. And in regards to motor oil. After I get the engine cleaned up and working, ultimately what oil weight are you using? I am thinking 10W-40. The owner manual calls for what I think would be 10W-20 in today's motor oils. But I am sure the owners manual can be thrown out the window in respect to engine oil recommendations.

4. As of right now, I pretty much have a complete car. I do see that I need a driver side door panel though. Can you recommend some good places or websites to obtain parts?

Any other tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your time to help me out.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 13:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Custom Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
These are topics with lots of person preferences in many directions. My opinions:

Your car has a low compression ratio and any gasoline above 87 octane is just wasting your money unless you want to advance your spark a bit beyond the factory recommendation which might give you 3-5 more horsepower, hardly worth the effort and expense IMO.

Your car has hydraulic lifters so detergent oil is a must, and before you use it, I'd recommend strongly that you drop the oil pan, clean it and oil pump pickup screen, and change the filter which is just a standard NAPA filter cartridge. As to which viscosity, it depends a bit on the ambient temperatures in the area the car will be operating. For warmer climates I'd consider a straight SAE 30 detergent, or perhaps SAE15-40 light diesel engine oil like Rotella or Delvac. If it will be consistently in a cooler climate SAE10-30 should be fine. I'd steer clear of SAE 10-40.

The transmission fluid closest to the formulation of the original Type A is Type F followed closely by Type FA and both are easily available. If you know it's been rebuilt with modern GM friction materials Dexron should be an OK choice.

When you describe your car, you should refer to it as a 23rd series 1949 to differentiate it from a 22nd series 1949. I've owned Custom 8s of both series - they are among the finest cars Packard made postwar and best of luck with it.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 13:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Andy(Ratchetman1977),
to PackardInfo and for including your '49 Custom Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 14:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Andy
See User information
Owen,

Thanks for the great info...

As a follow-up:

Quote:
Your car has a low compression ratio and any gasoline above 87 octane is just wasting your money unless you want to advance your spark a bit beyond the factory recommendation which might give you 3-5 more horsepower, hardly worth the effort and expense IMO.

Do you agree with the addition of the Marvel additive or is that an overkill as well?

Quote:
When you describe your car, you should refer to it as a 23rd series 1949 to differentiate it from a 22nd series 1949.

Good tip...it's actually a 22nd series. I added that info to my sig.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 14:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
it's actually a 22nd series. I added that info to my sig

Whoa! If it's a 22nd series is had a manual transmission. When you spoke of automatic trans fluid I assumed it had to be a 23rd series.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 14:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I am also confused. In the owners directory you have described the transmission as:
Ultramatic, 3 speed manual
It cannot be both??

Posted on: 2013/10/16 14:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ratchetman, let me clarify.

Transmission fluids (Types A, F, FA, etc.) is for automatic transmissions. Manual transmissions use gear oil.

The Packard automatic transmission (Ultramatic) debuted with the 23rd series and was standard equipment in the Custom 8. In the 22nd series the Custom 8 would have the manual transmission.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 17:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Andy
See User information
Quote:
Whoa! If it's a 22nd series is had a manual transmission. When you spoke of automatic trans fluid I assumed it had to be a 23rd series.

Ok my mistake there. Just learning this car. It actually has an ELECTROMATIC clutch and that is where my confusion came in. Assumed it was a transmission since apparently on the dash (I haven't looked yet) there's a knob marked "transmission". This is according to the owners manual. But yes, there is a clutch anyway.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 8:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Someone, I believe it was HH56, recently gave a very nice and concise explanation of how the Electromatic Clutch should function. If you're unfamiliar with it and interested in that, it should be easy to find using the Search feature.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 12:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Andy
See User information
Thanks for that. I'll give it a look. The explanation given in the manual is not very clear.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 12:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved