Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mystery horn button?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
My 1948 Victoria convertible definitely has the wrong horn button (probably the whole black wheel assembly, but it seems that it fits just fine), but I'm not sure what year it came from. I have searched this site's photo galleries and have concluded that it came from a 1953 Packard. The 51 & 52's appear to be similar but with a gold fill around the center logo versus the dark gray in mine. Can any one confirm what year I am showing in the photo?

I suppose I'm reaching here, but does anyone happen to have a 22nd or 23rd series horn button, or better yet a cream colored wheel assembly w/that button, that they'd like to trade for mine?

Attach file:

jpg  (41.90 KB)
364_4895da45a4c50.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/3 11:22
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print 

Re: Mystery horn button?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dan, the horn button you show in the photo looks just like one I recently purchased on eBay. It is supposedly from a 1940 One Sixty. I can't help you with the rest of your request, but good luck.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'll stick my neck out and say it's from a 53 junior series because that appears to be the only year colors were offered and because it's kinda plain jane. The one sad picture in 53 owners manual I found makes me think the seniors had a heavy radial line in addition to the small ones on your button.

Will show my ignorance by asking which body is a 2697. Only see references to 2692 & 95 but the button is used on that chassis but excluded from the 2697 which used the senior.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.80 KB)
209_4895e634e590c.jpg 477X395 px

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My reference book shows the 2697 body as being a model 2601 Clipper Sportster. But for this I would otherwise be equally ignorant.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I tried to post this earlier. But, I screwed up and attached a 12meg. digital pic. Sorry. The wheel looks correct for a 22nd series car. Obviously, you are correct the button isn't correct. The attached pic. shows the correct wheel and button.
Sorry I don't know what version your button is from.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.79 KB)
462_4895f4061a29e.jpg 500X333 px

Posted on: 2008/8/3 13:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Your horn button is from a '53 Clipper. I have one, as well as the correct horn button you need from my old '48 Packard that I used to have. The wheel itself looks like the correct year, but I don't have one of those. You can always try that new Fusion paint for plastics and repaint your steering wheel. That's what I plan on doing to my '37 wheel.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 15:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Clipper47, Thanks for info. Now I have to dig thru and see if I have a picture of a Sportster. Don't think I've seen one but it must be an upscale of something to have senior trim.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
According to the Kimes book (Packard, A History....) if I may refer to it as that states on page 564 that "the standard Clipper main line was available in two body styles,a two door sedan (which doubled as the Sportster at a $261 premium)and a four-door sedan." This was obviously a Clipper being a 2601 model with the 5 main bearing 327 engine. The same book shows a model year production of only 3672 examples being made so not a big seller. I don't have a photo but perhaps someone else can help.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 20:39
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Turbopackman:

Thank you for verifying that the horn button (and maybe the whole steering wheel assembly) is from a 1953 clipper. Things can get very confusuing when parts were interchangeable from year to year; it's hard to keep track of which part is correct for which year. Thanks also to all who chimed in.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 23:13
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think the steering wheel is correct for '48. But I know the horn button is not.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 23:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved