Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

39Rollson, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

rear end gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I guess I have more questions than I have answers. I am replacing the rear axel seals on my 51. I'm not sure where all the gaskets should go. Maybe the last guy left something out. I know a gasket belongs on both sides of the outer seal. The old one had a paper gasket between the seal and the backing plate and also between the seal and the DRIP CUP for lack of the correct nomenclature. My question is do you put a gasket between the backing plate and the axel housing? There was none there. There is a bearing shim behind the backing plate to shim the wheel bearing race for setting axel end play.

Should there be a gasket in front of the shim or behind it or both or I guess none???

Posted on: 2008/8/4 0:51
 Top  Print   

Re: rear end gaskets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a bit hazy on this, it's been a lot of years, and would suggest looking for a good picture in the parts book or the shop manual. But my memory says the only paper gasket goes between the drip retainer and the outside of the backing plate.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 7:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The axle of my 1947 which I believe is essentially the same as on your car. There is a gasket between the oil seal and the shim as well as one gasket before the retainer for the oil seal. The sequence in the diagram left to right is oil guard-gasket(12.031)-seal retainer-oil seal-gasket(12.033)-shim. As I recall the gaskets are very thin paper.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.18 KB)
13_48970ed5a1258.jpg 800X424 px

Posted on: 2008/8/4 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
That's a great picture. Where did this come from. Is there a discreption of the parts that goes along with the exploaded view? Where does the break backing plate go in this view? Looks like between 12.033 and 12.034. That would make 12.033 a gasket and 12.034 probably the shim. Also I assume that 12.032 and 12.0315 make up the leather outer seal. What do you think?
Thanks

Posted on: 2008/8/4 11:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In the 48-54 parts manual plate #112 has much the same picture with references to the group id.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Hi Randy,
I don't have the parts manual. I'm going to see if I can't buy one from ebay. Thanks for the information.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also all the exploded part plates (48-54 & 55-56) are in the Photo section if you want to look something up real quick.

Here is the link:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=70

Also using the "Search" on the Photo section is also a handy way to find a specific plate by description.

Lots of information here at that website!

Posted on: 2008/8/4 13:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Along those same lines..... We should have just about every piece of service information for the 48-56 models years here on the website. Give or take a few service letters.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 13:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Bob1951 wrote:
That's a great picture. Where did this come from. Is there a discreption of the parts that goes along with the exploaded view? Where does the break backing plate go in this view? Looks like between 12.033 and 12.034. That would make 12.033 a gasket and 12.034 probably the shim. Also I assume that 12.032 and 12.0315 make up the leather outer seal. What do you think?
Thanks

The diagram is from the 1947 parts book. There is a description which I guess was not so clear in my post. I believe that you might be right about the location of the backing plate but not sure. You are right about 12.033 being a gasket and 12.034 being the shim as I mentioned in my original post. The seal is identified as 12.033 'Retainer-shaft bearing oil seal" and 12.0315 "oil seal shaft bearing"

Posted on: 2008/8/4 13:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved