Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

rod and main bearing x-fit
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does anyone see any problem with using ROD bearing inserts on the MAINs or visa-versa if we could find some to fit????

Posted on: 2008/8/4 9:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: rod and main bearing x-fit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Rod bearings or main bearings is bearings, if they are of the correct OD, ID and width. However, can't picture any rod bearing which would work as the rear main/thrust bearing. Since the rear main is available only as part of the set, what would be the point? FWIW, other than the exorbitant cost, the King main bearing set we have is as good as the best we could hope to find.

Now, rod bearings are another thing entirely. I'd rather find some main bearings as rod bearing replacements. I haven't yet had any trouble with the white-box-Made-in-Taiwan rod bearings, but I'm building a couple of high-horsepower engines. Prolly, we'd all probably be more comfortable with a known-quality supplier. However, same problem - to get eight rod bearings, we'd have to buy two sets of V8 mains or three sets of 4-cyl bearings and throw away the thrust bearing(s).

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/8/4 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just Approximately what is the cost of the V8 main and the rod inserts from the Packard Vendors???

Posted on: 2008/8/4 10:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably not practicle nor cost effective but have u looked into having the old worn inserts rebabbited by a shop specializing in rebabbiting???

Posted on: 2008/8/4 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know about the thrust insert for rod use. If u have a mill or a lathe is it feasable to cut the thrust flange from the thrust insert and use it??? Depends on price difference of the bearings wheather or not to be bothered with it.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I don't know about the thrust insert for rod use. If u have a mill or a lathe is it feasable to cut the thrust flange from the thrust insert and use it??? Depends on price difference of the bearings wheather or not to be bothered with it.

99% of the time the thrust bearing is wider than the rest of the bearings. No matter what you do, you'll have to buy two sets of main bearings like Jack says.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Last set from Terrill Machine was $115 for mains and $96 for rods. Kanter gets $132 for mains and $113.60 for rods.

I've looked at every interchange in the books and nothing seems to fit. Finding the right ID is easy, but then the OD is slightly different, or the locating tangs are in the wrong location.

BTW, I need one-only .010" rod bearing. Somehow, I've got an old set with only seven. Anyone have a lonesome rod bearing at a $10 price?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/8/4 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"or the locating tangs are in the wrong location"

ok. What bearings will work REGARDLESS of lock tab???

I'll go get one tomorrow and study it.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
posting to make current

Posted on: 2008/8/16 21:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved