Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fender welting for windshield trim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For those who have redone their pre 51 interiors, a question. Some cars used a cushion around the windshield molding. The 47 Custom has a chrome molding with a "leatherette" covered welting strip surrounding it as a filler and cushion. Have any of you used the colored Ford fenderwelting product for the strip? If not, what did you use? I'd like to get something readily available yet reasonably appropriate looking that I can do locally.

I saw this Ford stuff which looks to be the right size. My original piece is faded so hard to judge what color it once was. Probably a little more brown than is showing now but not as dark as the modern. Neither modern color is great and are the only brown shades I could find. Am trying to decide whether the dark brown or the caramel is better. Brown goes reasonably well with the dash but I think will really be in your face next to the tan headliner and slightly darker tan windlace. Caramel would go great with those but maybe too light against the dash. Would appreciate hearing what choices others would make.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.10 KB)
209_52741c6fa5dda.jpg 638X1011 px

Posted on: 2013/11/1 16:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Fender welting for windshield trim
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Another option would be to look for a similar brown leatherette and have the welting made up by a local upholstery shop.
This is quite easy to do on an industrial sewing machine with a welting foot attachment.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard - The windshield molding welting on my 47 has suffered through the years of exposure, but I think there is still enough there to get a good idea of the color.

(o{}o)

I would say the color on mine is between the Dark Brown and Caramel.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.79 KB)
565_52742ce5661b8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/11/1 17:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
For reasons I cannot explain, I like the caramel.
What do you think YOU can live with?

Posted on: 2013/11/1 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Somewhere there's got to be interior trim color/material information! They had to design/match it, spec it, order it, and deliver it, etc. I just don't think it's been uncovered and disclosed, as the pieces are likely scattered about. Best as I can tell, right now, either PAC or Studebaker Museum are the best likely sources. Unless there's some unknown private individuals, historians, or restoration shops holding.
It's never been clear to me if Packard produced/assembled the interiors or the body maker, Briggs?

Posted on: 2013/11/1 19:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
[/quote]Quote:
Another option would be to look for a similar brown leatherette and have the welting made up by a local upholstery shop.

An option for sure. I had thought of doing that but wanted something ready made if possible. I'll try to stop by Stitch's next week and see if he can do anything that would look more appropriate than what I've found.
Quote:
Somewhere there's got to be interior trim color/material information!

Agreed, but chances of finding it and then having the original info and material names and textures cross over to modern names and numbers will probably be pretty slim. I expect it will continue to be a case of sending in a good piece and seeing if one of the suppliers can match or make it. The windlace is a good example. I found a color I like and will go with it but the cloth finish pattern is different (smoother) than what Packard used.
Quote:
What do you think YOU can live with?

Actually, I like the caramel too and if it were all next to the headliner, a no brainer. With the dark dash thrown into the picture it makes me think the light color will contrast too much. And the same on the dark brown next to the light headliner. Will see if Stitch can find a compromise and if not, then there is more headliner than there is dash so it will probably be the caramel.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 20:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howard, I'm wondering if you could somehow dye or color the lighter shade to better match the original. If its vinyl or some other synthetic that might not work.
From my wood working experience, I would go with the darker shade.
Now that I think of it, wood stains are now sold in pens similar to magic markers and have the same properties as magic marker ink. Since so little of the welting actually shows, that might work, even on synthetics.
Just thinking out loud....
Mark

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Will see if Stitch can find a compromise.
If someone is making it up for you, why can't you have the caramel next to the headliner and the darker brown run where the dash is??? Best of both?

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Keep us posted on what the options are and what you end up with, because I and sure others will face the same issue soon. Mine (not same) wasn't real bad but not good enuff to put back. I'll check with the fabric guy and see what he thinks. His windlace is fairly smooth but not exact. He found the correct cloth which I was told on here was "unobtainium". I'm pursuing more interior info also.
The prices these cars are bringing now is appalling and one has to be thrifty/innovative. I'll have almost in it, either just to make it run or what the interior will cost as it'll be worth fully restored...
GTO were is thy sting?

Posted on: 2013/11/2 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Update on the welting. Stopped by Stitch's and looked at some sample books. There are any number of close color choices and varying patterns in the medium brown selections. Anyone wanting something similar to the original should have no problems finding a color they like.

Wish I could give a specific name for the vinyl but after I picked a sample, Stitch looked on his shelf to see what he had. Didn't have the one I picked but did happen to have some vinyl left over from a previous job. That color and texture was perfect for what I wanted and even better than the one I picked. The name was no longer with the piece and he didn't remember without digging thru his records. It is a medium brown shade with a fairly smooth surface.

He made it up on the spot and because the vinyl was left over, the short length of welting was inexpensive. Would have been much more if material had to be ordered. Today's vinyl is a mite thicker than the original "leatherette" but where the piece is going, shouldn't be an issue.

All in all, it was a very worthwhile trip across town. This will be my 4th car he has worked on so we discussed a plan for the rest of the upholstery. To ensure a match, we'll order enough material now to do the complete car. He is booked solid in having complete cars in his shop until next summer but inevitably there are delays on jobs. I can haul a piece or two over when he can fit a cushion or panel in. That works for me. Buying the material will be bad enough. Shelling out for a huge upholstery bill all at once was not something I was looking forward to.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 15:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved