Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: What would you have if you didn't have a Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Since I just bought this last month, I guess that sorta of answer the question. A 1970 442 4 speed convertible. So now I need to decide if I want to go fast with rumble or in style with my 32 903 Coupe Roadster.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.90 KB)
793_52ba7c64ddcd2.jpg 1271X804 px

Posted on: 2013/12/25 1:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
The '57 300C or '58 NY'er convertibles that we had back in the '80s (jpeg pic won't load?).

I like diesels and we had a Peugeot 504 Diesel wagon back in the '80s as well. Wish we had common-rail 4 cyl turbo-diesels available here in cars and trucks, Jeep Cherokee is supposed to get one.

As to Ford p/u torque figures, apples to apples: the PowerStroke diesel V8 has 1152 nM. I'm a Mopar guy: Dodge gas 6.2l has 580 nM torque, and the Cummins diesel (world's largest diesel maker of engines over 200hp) has about 1084 nM. The "small" Ram 1500 (ie: Dodge) now has a new EcoDiesel V6 by VM Motori with 570 nM torque. GM ruined the US auto diesel market with their junky converted Olds V8 gas-to-diesel engine in the late 70s, making diesel acceptance here very difficult, except in trucks.

Posted on: 2013/12/25 13:02
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I love diesels! I have a MB 240D from 1979 with 300+k miles and it still goes! Have my 6.7 liter Ford diesel and two 8 liter cummins diesels as well.

15 years ago volkswagen had a diesel car (lupo) that would require 3liter diesel for 100 kilometers (77 mpg). It was a regular production car, I wish they'd sold them here!

Posted on: 2013/12/25 13:14
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...15 years ago volkswagen had a diesel car (lupo) that would require 3liter diesel for 100 kilometers (77 mpg). It was a regular production car, I wish they'd sold them here!

Click to see original Image in a new window

The introductory price of the Lupo 3L was 30,000 Deutschmark in 1999. To understand the value of this amount without calling upon historical exchange rates and contrasting juxtaposition of purchasing powers please understand that one could have buy a well-provided Mercedes for the same price.
Furnished with magnesium-aluminium tailgate, ultra-thin windows and gas-saving tires to name but a few measurements the Lupo 3L was a high-tech product but affordable for authorities only. But in the second-hand car market the car was the king.

Posted on: 2016/6/4 22:08
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I like many of the postwar independents up through the mid 50's...... John

Attach file:

jpg  (156.01 KB)
80331_57541fb66c080.jpg 974X796 px

Posted on: 2016/6/5 7:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Where to start? There are many I would like to have, if Packards were not built. I like the independent car makers, Kaiser/Frazer ('48 or '49), a true Shelby Cobra, bullet nose Studebaker. There are many, but the car I would like, is a '36 Nash Lafayette.

MrBumble, I like the Sunliner also. We had 5 or 6 come to our Saturday morning car show in Pismo Beach from So. Cal. Great cars! http://www.pismoderelicts.com/

'36 Nash

Attach file:

jpg  (11.62 KB)
67700_5754342a39c9a.jpg 278X182 px

Posted on: 2016/6/5 9:23
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Well, I guess that I would be the odd man out. While I have restored a 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and had a 1966 Mustang six banger for 45 years before I tired of it and traded for our 1949 Packard Deluxe, I have always liked the Model A Ford for its simplicity and available parts. I purchased a 1930 Coupe in 1963 and drove it to Corona del Mar High School in Newport Beach, California and sold it just before I entered the Army in 1968. I purchased a 1931 Tudor in 2005 and drive it all the time just as I do our Packard. If I could have another vehicle or two, I would want a 1929 Model A Pickup and a 1929 Packard four door sedan, any model would do. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/6/5 11:49
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My choices to replace my current two with similar vintage cars if there were no Packards would be a 33-34 Pierce-Arrow and a 56 Chrysler New Yorker convertible. Truly great cars in their respective time periods, both.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 12:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
If I could afford one, my choice would be 1957 Chrysler 300C or 1958 300D convertible. A good friend in HS's dad owned a 1958 300D convertible. My friend only got to drive it once and then in the controlled situation as the lead car in the Homecoming parade. The "D" had the Homecoming queen and 1st & 2nd runner ups sitting on the folded down convertible top for all to see. Ah, the memory.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/6/5 15:11
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The main advantage of the Woodlite was reduced wind resistance which added around 6 mph to the top speed. I've never seen a demonstration so I have no opinion on the performance of the units. They must have had some merit or the photo below wouldn't exist.

I been driving my modern car for 20 years and don't plan on replacing it. In the old days pre-war Packards drove better than a lot of brand new modern cars. The same can't be said today so the allure isn't the same.

Since I don't like the way the cars are being restored I've lost interest. When I was at the CCCA annual meeting there was a 41 Cadillac with a very authentic restoration. I'd rather have a car like that than some of the Packard crap floating around. However, when I retire I'll want a second car and wouldn't consider anything beyond early OBDII. I joke with engineers in Detroit that my next car will be Model A Ford which costs less than a new car and costs less to maintain. Then if I want to drive somewhere far away I'll just rent a modern junker or take the bus.

Attach file:

gif  (297.51 KB)
373_5754bf2070762.gif 700X613 px

Posted on: 2016/6/5 19:14
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved