Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil filter problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

mactro215
See User information
did my 1949 super deluxe touring sedan come with a stock oil filter and where do I get them? thanks, ~mac

Posted on: 2008/8/5 19:13
 Top  Print 

Re: oil filter problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I believe it was an option. So, it may have had one from Packard. Check the x-ref on this site for filter element numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.03 KB)
462_489900d6ca33e.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/5 20:40
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think Max Merrit has the kits. Or at least the parts you would need.

Posted on: 2008/8/5 23:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

mactro215
See User information
ok, mine looks different than the one in the picture. I was a little disheartened when kanter sent me the wrong spark plugs after explaining that I didn't have the 10mm plugs then the filter didn't fit and my carpet still hasn't shown up after two or three months and a lot of calling and running around. Is kanter a reputable company? I feel like I am paying a premium with them and they have horrible customer service. the parts that I got through them for my 43 dodge pickup were good but expensive! $50 for a bearing? I traded the truck before I had to do that.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 2:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you don't have the oil filter housing, I have one for you. It's from my '53 327 and I won't be needing it for what I'm doing. Compared to the rest of the engine, it's in fine shape, but would need cleaned and painted. The oil filters SHOULD be available at any parts store, and the lines are also available in their brakeline section, you'll just have to bend your own. Incidentially, you can have my old lines to use as a pattern to make the new ones.

As for Kanter, if you do a little shopping around you can find parts that will fit for cheaper, just depends on your idea of "originality".

As for their business practices, I have no idea, I've never dealt with them, and don't plan to unless it's last resort.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 2:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
My '49 was a California car originally, and evidently came from one of the Earle C. Anthony dealerships. They were (I've been told) installing a filter other than the Packard factory offering.

When I got the car it had an oil filter that was six inches wide and eleven inches tall! It was an old-style LuberFiner oil filter. Filter elements for those being just about impossible to find these days, I gave the LuberFiner filter to a friend and installed a standard Packard unit.

That LuberFiner was so big it dwarfed everything else on the left side of the engine compartment.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 7:18
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
49packard, What is that thing just under and aft of the air cleaner?? Couldn't help but ask.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Pardon me for interjecting but that is the Electromatic clutch control valve.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Exactly right. If you notice these parts are on a Custom 356. You can tell in part from the water neck that is cast.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:35
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved