Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

accessory switch question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could someone confirm how the decorative covers used on prewar switches that mounted under dash were held on.

Looking at this repro cover, it would appear the switches themselves mounted to the metal bracket. The decorative covers with labels were then slid over the threaded switch neck and only held by the knob and friction. Seems like something is missing or is this correct? Was there some kind of cushion or a decorative finish nut threaded onto the switch between cover and knob to hold tings together or keep cover from vibrating?

Attach file:

jpg  (74.36 KB)
209_52825361aeeb0.jpg 1137X761 px

Posted on: 2013/11/12 11:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: accessory switch question
Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
The swtich gos through the metal bracket then the plastic cover and is held on by a thin nut the cap pushes on to cover the nut.
Is that an AC switch?
Saltydog

Posted on: 2013/11/13 15:24
 Top  Print   

Re: accessory switch question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Appreciate the info on how it was mounted.

Quote:
Is that an AC switch?

I assume that is what if was for although it doesn't look like another switch a poster has on his prewar AC unit. Maybe they had more than one hang on underdash style for the years??

Decided to use two of the repros for my AC addition to the 47. One for the on/fan and another for an air duct select pull cable. Jerry will remove the lettering so a second cover will be blank. Some white dry transfer letters will hopefully look somewhat the same as the factory lettering for the new label description.

Because the modern switch necks are smaller diameter than the hole in the cover, had to come up with another but similar mounting arrangement. I turned a new threaded bezel to match the modern switches. Also has a neck to fit the cover hole with enough of an over flange to keep the cover on. Because the nut for the pull cable will be seen, used the Copy Chrome plating setup to chrome them. Didn't turn out half bad & now just have to figure out where I want to mount them.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved