Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 237

Gary Kulp, Alvin14, kevinpackard, R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 vs 1940 Trunk Lids
Just popping in
Just popping in

eaglerock
See User information
Hello All,

After a long absence I am finally back to working on my 1940 Super 8 convertible sedan. I would love to clear up an issue that has puzzled me for some time.

Over the years I have seen several senior cars, including mine, equipped with a 1939 "T" style trunk lid handle as opposed to the 1940 "fleur-de-lis" handle that matches the door handle design. The Packard Parts List shows that the "T" handle was used on 1939 and earlier models, while 1940 used only the other style handle. And of course there are two different 1940 handle assemblies listed, one with and one without a license light, depending on whether the car was equipped with a trunk rack (my car has the trunk rack with license light above).

In an earlier thread I read that the 1939 and 1940 trunk lids (that is, sedan vs sedan, coupe vs coupe) were pretty much the same except for the mounting holes for the trunk handles. Can anyone tell me if the mounting hole is lower on 1939 trunk lids vs the 1940 models? My car's mounting hole is about 3 1/4" above the lower edge of the trunk lid.

I know this is a long shot, but is there any chance that some of the early 1940 models came with 1939 "T" style handles? And if my "T" handle is incorrect, can I simply change it out for a 1940 handle, or is my mounting hole too low on the trunk lid? Also, the "T" handle has a simple round ferrule with one mounting hole, whereas the 1940 handle has a small base which requires two additional small holes that are not present in my trunk lid.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or information you can offer. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/11/22 17:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 vs 1940 Trunk Lids
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
You're on the right track. The 1939 T-handle has what we can agree to call a ferrel for the bezel. The HANDLE looks the same for the 1940 style, except the bezel for 1940 is more of an oblong pot metal base. The second correct style for early 1940 is yet another handle, much more like a long door handle, vertical appearance like the non-rack handle, which I can dig out and photograph tomorrow if you have not seen it. It is much less common than the "ordinary" T plus base 1940, which remained as the replacement handle in the parts supply line, I believe. What is the serial number/appx. production date of your car?

This, of course, completely ignores the "standard" 1940 handle with the built in license lamp and license plate holder, non-trunk rack, that is. This is the "fluer de lis" style you are familiar with.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 19:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim - As the owner of a 1940 Packard you may want to try and get a copy of Jim Hollingsworth's book about the 1940 Packards ("1940 A Pivotal Year"). It contains a wealth of information about the Packards of this year. Jim recently died, but maybe someone here knows if there are still copies of the book available. Flackmaster?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/23 11:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Negative. No. None. Nada. The book is out of publication, best to watch the resale market for one.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'll look in my copy and see if I can find you some information. And sorry, the books not for sale - mine is one Jim signed for me.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Page 10 in Jim's book discusses the rear deck ornament (unfortunately not the handle) for the 1800 series. In August 31 1939 PMCC general Letter # G-345 announced the replacement of the early style trunk ornament, a flour-de-lis for the 110/120/160 sedans to the much more common Packard radiator and crest ornament. He then goes on to discuss the colors of the paint used on the ornament. I couldn't find any photos of the trunk in the book. Maybe a search of the Salesman Data Books for 39 and 40 would reveal some information for you.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 21:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

eaglerock
See User information
Thank you all very much for your help and information. Flackmaster, after reading your post I searched the internet and found several photos of 1940 Packards with "T" trunk handles, all senior models with trunk racks. I see what you mean about the oval shaped bezel. The few cars I have seen in person over the years had the other style trunk handle, which is much longer and, as you say, looks more like a long door handle. All this time I was thinking that is what I should have on my trunk! I still think one of those would hang down too far if I were to replace my "T" handle, but now I know I don't need to do that. Mine does not have the oval bezel, but I should be able to find the correct set up eventually.

JW and David, thanks for suggesting the Jim Hollingsworth book. Actually, I do have a copy that he signed for me when we corresponded about my car some years ago. I too looked through his book and could not find mention of the trunk handle topic. Jim was very friendly and willing to share his vast knowledge with a novice like me. I believe he was the source of my thought that my car is fairly early, based on the script hubcaps and a couple of other small details. I don't have the car here but I think it was around the 25th Super 8 convertible sedan, with a delivery date in January. Not sure about that, will have to check next time I'm out there. My car does not have the anti theft number on the firewall, and I recall reading in some thread that that may also be an indicator of an earlier car.

Thanks again for helping me clear up a minor detail that has puzzled me for years!

Jim

Posted on: 2013/11/25 13:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My car does not have the anti theft number on the firewall, and I recall reading in some thread that that may also be an indicator of an earlier car.

That's at least partially correct, it sppears that production commenced without the theft-proof number though all but just one or two did have the end-brackets with no numerals between. But from the limited data people have supplied me on 1940 cars, it appears that the resumption of theft-proof numbers began about 1/2 way through the production run.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 14:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Jim was a close friend of mine as well - his 180 Club Sedan has the long handle, which was the first I had seen. I think I recall it being an early car, I will look at it again next time I see it, or indeed there may be some reference in his book. He suggested his belief was that this longer handle correlated to the earlier cars, particularly the senior cars, and probably was e/limited due to cost. Either that, or you would be more likely to catch it on the rack if you were opening or closing the trunk lid before laying the rack flat down, as many of us do to be closer to the car....
I can supply whichever handle you may prefer.
Is your car in Phoenix?

Posted on: 2013/11/25 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I had always thought that the T-handle was on cars WITH a trunk rack, although I've seen cars with a trunk rack and the long handle as well. It's possible that cars with the long handle have had a trunk rack added at a later date.
My car is the highest known serial number of the Super Eight 7-passenger touring, delivered in July 1940, and it has the "T" handle.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 16:05
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved