Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

John Wogec, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Writing an article of Packard Plant
Just popping in
Just popping in

BigBlockHead
See User information
Dear all,

I am a Finnish student, studying in Michigan (Kettering University) currently. While I am here, I am writing automotive related articles for Finnish classic car magazine.
RogerDetroit encouraged me to join the discussion forum and ask more plant related question.

First of all, I was trying to find a publication (book for example) that would tell more about the plant's history. I have a book called "How Detroit became the Automotive Capital", but it has just a very quick overview of Packard.
I was told that Packard Cormorant magazine #137 (Winter 2009) has a story about the plant, but I have not managed to find it online. There's a guy on ebay who has lot of the old Cormorant numbers, but not this one. Skillman archives should have it, but I probably can't borrow it from there? So, If anyone wants to sell theirs, it would be great.

Second, are there any old Packard dealership buildings left in Detroit area?

I have already visited the plant couple times, and will probably go again, but I need to locate some on old photos. If someone knows where they are I would be very thankful!
I found the photos from Skillman library's online archives. I will apologize in advance, cause I will probably ad more photos later as I search further what they have!

If you guys have any ideas what publications/website I should research or where I could find good places to shoot photos at the Plant, let me know.

Thank you all,
Markku Jaakkola

Attach file:

jpg  (80.45 KB)
30725_529128971361b.jpg 750X604 px

jpg  (65.94 KB)
30725_529128a03b08b.jpg 750X591 px

jpg  (80.23 KB)
30725_529128a9b91c6.jpg 750X590 px

jpg  (76.20 KB)
30725_529128b2a4762.jpg 750X599 px

Posted on: 2013/11/23 17:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Writing an article of Packard Plant
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Markku - You may want to go to Amazon.com and search their offerings on the Packard Motor Car Co. and the Detroit factory plant. "Packard a History of the Motor Car and the Company" edited by Beverly Rae Kimes is considered a good source of information. This book is usually there and the price depends on the condition. While one in good condition can be expensive, a lesser one can be had for a reasonable price. I expect you will be getting other information sources from others here too. Good luck on your article.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/23 18:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Markku:

The Packard Club's quartery publication The Packard Cormorant has had numerous articles on the plant over the last 40 or so years. But as you've been told, issue #137 was very special in that it was totally dedicated to the plant in several different articles. I was told that all back issues were purchased by the Packard Proving Grounds, yet that might not be true as I see that back issues are listed as available from The Packard Club for just a few dollars. As has also been pointed out to you, the Kimes-edited book is the single most comprehensive book on Packard.

I also recommend two members of The Packard club that are serious historians of Packard and should be of much help. They are Art Balfour in northern Michigan and Chuck Flinchbaugh in upstate New York. Roger can help you with contact information.

You perhaps also realize that Packard has as very strong following in Scandanvia and the Nordic Packard Owner's Club might be a resource for you back home. I digress but a recent issue had a lovely article on the restoration of your General Mannerheim's Packard.

I look forward to reading your article when it becomes available and if I can help you with any contacts within The Packard Club or the Nordic Packard Owner's Club, just send me a PM.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 18:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello All:

I hope that all of us can help Markku with his research. Markku and I have exchanged several e-mails and we finally met a week ago when he drove down to Detroit for lunch as part of a tour with Motor City Packards.

First, The Cormorant magazine he is looking for, Winter 2009, is SOLD OUT. The PPG bought all the extras that Stuart Blond printed and Stuart knows that we have a standing order for any extras he discovers or that are turned into him. The PPG sold about 40 of them at $20 a piece.

Second, Markku has listed 4 photos. He sent me the last photo in an e-mail and I was not sure of the source. So, I copied the ID number and put it in a Google search and got this written explanation:

" 8x10 black and white Packard Co. file photograph of three 1940 Packard super eight touring limousines, three-quarter front view, lined up side by side, dual white sidewall tires, Goddess of Speed emblem, parked in front of Packard plant, man standing next to far right car."

Now I live in (near) Detroit but I do not recognize the background as being "...in front of Packard plant.? When Markku sent me the photo, I thought it was in front of a Packard DEALERSHIP somewhere.

Does anyone recognize the location?

Posted on: 2013/11/23 23:17
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Detroit Public Library Skillman Branch:

Packard Motor Car Photograph Collection:

Approximately 13,000 images of Packard cars, trucks, aircrafts, component parts, factories, buildings, and events. Nearly 3,000 of these images documenting Packard models can be seen on The Making of Modern Michigan web site.

This is just the photograph collection. These libraries also have warehouses full of printed volumes the likes of which have not been fully researched.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 2:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Markku,

I have a spare copy the Cormorant #137. I will send it to you if you still want it. I don't want anything for it but if you feel you could make a small donation to the pinfo site here,I am sure Big Kev would appreciate it. Any thing to help young guy's to our hobby and also to promote Packards. Please send me details of your address.

Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2013/11/24 4:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
I believe that the location is the factory branch on Jefferson in Detroit. Note that all three cars have Illinois plates.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 9:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

BigBlockHead
See User information
Hi All,
Thank you for all the answers, you have been very helpful. I went to schools library today and found "Packard a History of the Motor Car and the Company" . Amazon didn't have any good offers on it.
Packard Club does seem to have the issue #137 available! But I think I would rater donate something on packardinfo.com. :)

I know that there are quite a few Packards in Nordic countries. Here's one that was auctioned two summers ago.
Here's a link to Mannerheim's cars. Just click the "pictures" at the bottom of the page and you'll see his Packard. I really would like to see that article!
http://www.mannerheim.fi/13_erity/e_auto2.htm
I can scan the article when it's done, but it will be in Finnish unfortunately.

Roger, sorry for not mentioning that they were from Skillman library archives. It was great to meet you! You have been very helpful. I am driving down to Detroit again for thanksgiving, so I might stop at the plant on my way to shoot some more photos.

ECAnthony, do you mean Jefferson Avenue? Is there anything left ? What operations did they have there?
I noticed that the bumpers are wrapped and white walls greased. That's a great photo ! Are there any newer, color photos, available anywhere?

Attach file:

jpg  (190.00 KB)
30725_5292ad58ebf48.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/24 21:02
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

BigBlockHead
See User information
Oh wow, I didn't realize that you have such a huge database of Packard dealers on the website.

Looks you were correct about Jefferson Avenue, and seems like GM is there today!
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/dealer/View.php?ID=1537

Markku

Posted on: 2013/11/24 21:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Markuu,

Corner of Cass and Burroughs, the classic 1920s Packard dealership building, still standing, and in good use.

6040 Cass ave.Google Map

Posted on: 2013/11/25 8:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved