Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Phil Eaton, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

39 120 questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Finally got the old girl running again after a long two year wiring installation. Issue #1 is the carb. I suspect the gas gummed up things a bit, as the car will start instantly at times, and another I have to pull the air cleaner and stick a screwdriver in the carb to open up the choke and pray. Both of these scenarios can happen with a cold engine. I think the appropriate action is to yank the carb and install a new carb kit. Any suggestions as to pros and cons of getting one from Napa vs one of the old car vendors?

Issue #2. I drained the oil and put in some Shell Rotella 10w-30w as this is what I use in my 51. Except for the senior moment when I forgot that the 39 hasn't been rebuilt and the 51 has. I just started the car and drove it back into the garage. I think the appropriate action is to drain the oil, and drop the pan for cleaning.
Suggestions? Also, should I go back to a non detergent oil after cleaning the pan?

Posted on: 2013/11/30 20:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 120 questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My general advice is that if you don't know the last time the oil pan was dropped and cleaned, then it's time to do it now before the next oil change. And while it's off, clean the valve tappet area and the crankcase breather and oil fill cap and the oil pump intake screen. After that there is no reason not to take advantage of modern detergent oils.

Posted on: 2013/12/1 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'll do that! We are expecting some sub zero temps this week. It would be a good time to work in the heated garage.

Posted on: 2013/12/1 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I bought a carb kit from Terrill Machine. Turns out that the carb is Carter rather than a Stromberg. I'll be putting it later when it warms up a bit. Supposed to be a low of -20 tonight.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
It ain't -20 but this morning I had 2 polarbears knocking on the door asking for firewood...

I heard that dallas had a 60 degree temperature swing in 12 hrs yesterday!

Posted on: 2013/12/5 20:38
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
On Wednesday late afternoon until early evening we were sitting in the open garage enjoying all the neighbors on their walks and jogs plus watching a neighbor string holiday lights on her shrubs and trees. It was 70F then. Yesterday we were almost 30 degrees colder. Not as bad as the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, but cold enough for a light layer of frost on everything this morning. Brrrrr...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/12/6 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Got my buddy the Hudson wizard over today, and he put the Daytona carb kit I got from Terrill Machine in the Carter WDO carb on the 39 120. It is amazing - one quick stab at the throttle and the car starts immediately. No crank/crank/crank and pray! It responds quickly and idles smoothly. The Daytona carb kit is interesting in that it uses a ceramic disc rather than a needle, so it is supposedly smoother over all engine speeds. I'll find out once the snow melts....

Posted on: 2013/12/18 21:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved