Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 162

kevinpackard, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dash bezel removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Amspoker
See User information
I have a 56 Clipper and am trying to remove the bezels from around the antenna and headlight switches without scratching the chrome.

They are being stubborn.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Ron

Posted on: 2007/3/31 10:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Dash bezel removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
those bezels thread on to the threads on the front-pilot of the individual switch assemblies. There is a special tool required, but you can make one yourself easily. Take the knob off of the shaft of the switches you wish to remove. You will see a hexagonal shape around the shaft on the bezel. That is the "drive" for the nut holding the bezel on. Buy a 1/4" wide x1" long aluminum (hexagonal) electrical circuit board stand-off from radio shack or other electronics supplier. Drill through the length of stand-off (starting with the smaller diameter female threaded end) with a drill bit larger than the diameter of the shaft of the switch. That in essence is the tool, you can mount it in a wooden handle like a nut driver, or simply use a 1/4" wrench to turn it.

Posted on: 2007/3/31 16:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U really need the tool that Mr PB indicates. However, in liue of the tool i have used 2wo SMALL flat blade screw drivers slipped into the hex opposite of each other and turned the hex nut that way. It is a bit tedious to do so but it works.

Posted on: 2007/3/31 19:34
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Amspoker
See User information
Thank you for the help. I'll give it a try. Ron

Posted on: 2007/4/8 11:25
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Amspoker
See User information
I'll try Mr. PB suggestion and also look at yours. Thanks for the input. Ron

Posted on: 2007/4/8 11:27
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just thought I would update this thread in case someone referenced it in the future. When I was at the So Cal PI Chapter swapmeet this week I found out that Dan Yocum is making the Dash Removal tool for around $10. Look like a hex screwdriver but with a hollow center. See picture for more details.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.94 KB)
1_484d662d5784a.jpg 800X449 px

Posted on: 2008/6/9 12:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Bob Berg also used to make that tool for about 5 or 10 dollars. The tool is well worth the money. I have several of the standoffs and use them succesfully. Radio Shack doesn't carry them anymore and the young fellow who wanted to be helpful didn't even know what it was. One of the managers, a young lady, came out of the back office and being irritated by something (a customer?), she went over and pointed out the standoffs hanging on the wall and hustled back into her office. Unfortunately that standoff was to keep antenna wires from touching the chimney or exterior of the house. I finally found them. They were made of plastic, completely round and useless for my need. So it was a stand-off
I did order the standoff I require from McMaster Carr in the 10-32 thread size needed. I have ordered several items of hardware recently from them with great success. They also carry the aluminum-faced bubble-wrap.
ed:03-31-10
http://www.mcmaster.com/#spacers-and-standoffs/=6gk6s6

Posted on: 2008/6/9 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Al. faced bubble wrap???????? What is that used for ????

Posted on: 2008/6/9 21:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Boy, this is a late reply and I apologize to all and particularly Keith.
I use the Al-faced bubble wrap under the carpet as insulation and heat barrier. I saw some hot-rodders using it and it is a reasonably priced alternative to Dynamat.
I still use the existing jute also.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved