Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

William Grosz, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 Green Packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

HarleyGuitarMan
See User information
Hi. I'm new at this forum. I seeked out a Packard forum because I have the opportunity to buy a 1949 Packard 4dr for about $13000 and it's been completely rebuilt...looks very sharp inside and out.

I don't really know anything about this but Im intrigued about the beauty and affordability of this car for an amount that I can afford.

Does this sound like a fairly good deal? Im not one to work on and fixup old cars...this is turnkey. Can something like this actual be used as a daily car?

Posted on: 2008/8/11 21:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Green Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You do not state what model but you should get an awfully nice 1949 Packard sedan for that kind of money.

A #1 car is a 100 point show winner. A #2 car is a show car but not totally perfect. A #3 car is a really nice authentically restored car that is not good enough to compete in car shows but plenty nice enough to drive. #4 is like a #3 but a little rough when you get close, and needs quite a bit of work to be a #3. #5 restorable but not running or barely running, #6 parts car.

For $13000 you should be getting somewhere between a #3 and #2. In other words an awfully nice car but not quite a show car, or a former show car that is starting to show a little age and wear.

This is according to the pricing in the Old Car Price Guide.

Let's face it this is a near 60 year old used car that passed its best before date when Eisenhower was President. No you cannot use it for everyday transportation. Maybe occasionally but not every day.

The car is capable of handling ordinary driving provided you keep within its limitations, mainly the fact that braking is not quite up to the latest standards. But cruising at hiway speeds up to 60 or 70 should be no problem.

It would make an excellent tour car and fun to drive around. But I would not expect it to pile up the miles commuting as if it was a Toyota.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Another thing to bear in mind is that any car that old requires a lot more upkeep than a modern car. That is just the way they were made.

When it was new, the owner would probably drop it off at the Packard dealer or independent garage for service every month or 2.

Oil change and chassis lubrication every 2000 miles, tuneup twice a year, brakes have to be adjusted manually, even the battery needed attention more often than today's do.

This is all laid out in the owner's manual.

Since the 60s most of this work has been eliminated. You will need to find an old grey haired or bald headed mechanic who is an antique car enthusiast to handle this work. Things like carburetors and points distributors are a mystery to any mechanic trained in the last 30 years.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 23:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
No you cannot use it for everyday transportation. Maybe occasionally but not every day.

I beg to differ! I took a 1956 Packard Patrician that sat in a field for 40 years and drove it as a dailiy driver for over two years with a completely original 1955 320 and a 1955 Ultramatic. The only reason why I stopped driving it was because I was tired of baking in it in the summer with no A/C.

If you take care of it, you can use any old car as a daily driver, I have, and so have others. It's all up to your knowledge of auto mechanics and your comfort levels.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.76 KB)
34_48a122eb71752.jpg 446X260 px

Posted on: 2008/8/12 0:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Turbopackman has a much greater sense of adventure than I do. I wouldn't recommend using a '49 Packard as a primary form of transportation. I guess it could depend on where, how far, how fast, how often... etc. The bathtub Packards are wonderful and fun to drive, but I won't drive mine in snow (salt damage), or on 90+ degree days (overheating... me, not the car).

Posted on: 2008/8/12 8:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
My experience is much like Eric's, except that I bought my '55 Patrician as former museum car that had been, "parted out," for about fifteen years. I paid too much for it and spent a LOT of money getting the mechanics, hydraulics and electrics sorted to make it a dependable (and extremely comfortable) driver.

Living in Florida and because I couldn't find parts or anyone who'd work on the old York air conditioning I added a new AC system, Edelbrock Performer carburettor, hid a K&N washable air filter inside the old oil-bath one, changed the generator for a 12V, positive ground alternator, installed electronic ignition and an aftermarket, plastic top-fill reservoir for the completely rebuilt Bendix, Treadle-Vac brakes (I am on the lookout for the original Packard accessory glass one) but, even with a few minor, "mods," it's still PACKARD powered and runs on PACKARD running gear.

With its shiny but pitted chrome, well-worn but original interior and 1989 repaint it is, admittedly, a, "fifteen footer," appearance-wise but, for the past year, has been the only vehicle that I own. Yes, it needs lubrication every 2000 miles and more frequent general servicing than modern cars but is seen, frequently, between Orlando, the Miami area, on Alligator Alley between Miami and Naples and on Highway 17-92 between Naples and Orlando, has never held up traffic on any of these roads and serves all of my local transportation needs on a daily basis.

When I croak out, nothing will have been modified on it that cannot be undone, it will be imminently easier for someone to restore (or to just drive) than it was when I got it and, in the meantime, I am advertising PACKARD and travelling is a hell of a lot of fun. I'm prouder to drive it than I would be a new Mercedes or a Roller.

Your '49 is generally considered to have been more dependable when new than was my first year model V8. Whether you can use it for daily general transportation needs when it is done depends on what you want to do with it, how much trouble you're willing to take and your confidence in the car. As for me, if they'll do the job while letting me keep 'em essentially PACKARD and I don't have to change one enough that someone cannot restore it when I'm done with it - PACKARDS should be driven and seen as often as possible, whenever possible.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 10:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Here's a link to the NADA values for 1949 Packards:http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5006-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5012&m=1317&c=7&z=56468&da=-1&y=1949&da-1

Just pick the model that you are looking at and it should put you in the ball park as to what it might be worth

Posted on: 2008/8/12 10:55
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Turbo, Lloyd, I completely believe you. I have used old cars for daily transportation too. But let's look at the question again.

"Does this sound like a fairly good deal? Im not one to work on and fixup old cars...this is turnkey. Can something like this actual be used as a daily car?"

My answer was that it could indeed be a good deal but for that kind of money you should be able to get an awfully nice 1949 Packard.

In his particular case, I would not recommend he buy such a car and use it for everyday transportation.

For one thing it would be a waste of a good car. Such a car would deteriorate rapidly if left parked outside all the time, driven in all weathers, and generally used as a hack. His $13000 car could turn into a $2000 car in a couple of years. But if he takes care of it properly, in 10 years it could be a $25000 car.

For another thing there has been some progress in autos in the last 60 years. It would be too much to ask of someone who knows nothing about old cars.

The fact that he asked the question tells me the answer, for him, should be "no".

Now if he has a garage to keep the car in, knows a good mechanic or knowlegable Packard fan (like you guys) then he should be OK for occasional use.

The car itself is perfectly capable of doing the job provided 1) it is in A1 shape 2) it is maintained properly and 3) you bear in mind certain limitations that are part of the car, such as brakes that are not up to today's in a panic stop.

Now if he buys the car and takes the trouble to learn how to maintain and operate it properly he may be OK but if he just jumps in and starts using it as his sole transportation I'm afraid he will be in for a big disappointment.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 13:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
About the NADA site. It is more for used cars and does not go into condition.

In the case of the Packard it gives values of $3850 (low retail) $8500 (average retail) and $17900 (high retail) for a 1949 Deluxe Eight sedan.

I suppose this is better than nothing. But I would invest $7 or $8 in an Old Cars Price Guide before I shelled out that kind of money. Better yet if you could find a knowlegable Packard fan to go with you.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 13:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
HarleyQuitarMan: This is the very question I have asked myself, for all sorts of reasons:

- I find new cars bland, flimsy looking, and short on character. Old cars are MUCH more captivating.

- I think new cars are far too complex; they are run terrific and provdie great safety, fuel mileage, and comfort UNTIL something needs repair, and then you are looking at $700 and up no matter how "small" the problem is. Old cars are simple in the extreme in comparison, and were designed for home owner type maintenance as far as they could possibly be so designed.

- A Packard was a very high quality car when built, and 50 years later, that still shows in things like doors that still don't sag, engines that STILL run like sewing machines, and bodies that are astonishingly sound (Did you know that Packard, even back in 1939, was using 11 different combinaitons of 10 different insulating materials to make their cars quieter and more corrosion resistant?). If you are going to try to use an old car as a daily driver, this is the brand to pick.

- I need a daily driver while my stalled (for bodywork and paint) 1st Edition 1955 (NOT later model 1955)SLURP project (Simple Lightweight Unpretentious Retro Pickup) waits for my friend with the body shop and paint booth to get to it, and I ended up with this really neat 1952 Packard 200 Deluxe - just perfect, because it too can later become a major project like SLURP did, and in the meantime its combination of lowest-model-in-the-line simplicity and Packard quality seems like the safest way to go old but not worn out.

- I am a self-published author - my e-book "The SSR Experience" has sold well to Chevrolet SSR owners, with its combination of model history, description of both strengths and quirks, buying and selling guide, guide to maintenance and repairs, and multiple chapters devoted to progressivley more complex modifications. I am planning another e-book that will cover either the SLURP project or the Packard. I'm now leaning towards doing the Packard book first.

I say go for it. We'll both find out soon enough whether this idea will work or not.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/12 15:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved