Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 134

Peter Packard, Tobs, remi, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

3-speed gear shift handle vibration
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Still trying to diagnose the vibration of my gear shift handle, primarily in second gear, after engaging the second gear, releasing the clutch, and accelerating. It happens frequently but not always. Occasionally, after I engage second gear and accelerate, there will be no vibration in the gear shift handle. It has been suggested to me that there may be wear in the vibration dampner (harmonic balancer). Does the vibration dampner wear out? Do you think this might be the cause? Or, might it more likely be a transmission synchronizer issue? At any rate, appreciate your input. 1954 Clipper Super Two-door Club Sedan L8 327ci with 165hp. Three speed manual trans with overdrive.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/1/17 9:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 3-speed gear shift handle vibration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, vibration dampers can fail, but given the limited information available about the nature of the problem, the vibration damper would be way down towards the bottom of a list, and transmission synchros wouldn't be on the list at all. Though perhaps a bit too obvious, have you considered an intermittent engine miss such as you might get from failing high tension plug wires, worn or incorrectly gapped spark plugs, etc.? Motor and transmission mounts also warrant examination.

You say it happens "primarily" in 2nd gear - I guess this means it can also happen in 1st or 3rd? If so, does it correlate to engine speed or road speed? Or neither?

Posted on: 2014/1/17 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
The vibration in question never happens with first gear engaged, and, when it occurs, is only very slight in third gear.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is it more of a noise and buzz or is the actual handle vibrating enough to see it move. If you can see it can you tell if the movement is up and down or front to back.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 10:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
The handle actually moves and it is an up-and-down movement.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Did you check for a loose nut behind the wheel?

Posted on: 2014/1/17 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
I will take a look at the nuts and mounts per all your adivce..but I have to say that I think I am the only loose nut behind the wheel on this car. I really appreciate everyone's efforts in trying to help me diagnose this problem. Thanks Again..

Posted on: 2014/1/17 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you do your checks, pay particular attention to the mounting areas. If the lever is physically moving up and down and is not just a case of rough roads causing the movement, I would look very carefully at the motor mounts and linkage pieces. If it is predominately in second it would seem it might be speed related. Perhaps something is setting up a resonance.

Moving the lever up and down would seem to indicate the linkage or trans assy is moving in relation to the fixed steering column. There could also be a lot of slop somewhere in the various bushings preventing a tight connection and letting the lever "flop" at a resonance point.

The engine/trans moving forward or back in relation to the idler assy attached to the frame, could cause the issue. I believe the end of the idler is also attached at one end to the engine assy. If so, the engine rocking slightly would also cause the lever to move since that rocking would push vertically in relation to column. A loose or broken engine mount as well as the vulcanized rubber separating from the metal could all cause the issue. If the bracket holding the idler assy to frame is loose, that could cause the problem. If any of the bushings at any rod/lever connection are rubber isolated, perhaps a chunk has fallen out.

There was an issue on earlier trans where the detent/interlock assy mounting block became loose in the case. That looseness -- or if a detent is worn -- could cause some play in the long rods. The looseness problem was addressed with a larger bolt but since it is the same trans, it might be worth checking the tightness.. To do that you would disconnect both shift rods at the trans and then move the shift levers by hand. If they move easily or have any play at all, tightness would be suspect. If a lever is not somewhat hard to move into gear and not firmly held by the detent when in gear, wear or a broken spring in the detent might be an issue.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 14:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard, thank you for that in-depth reply. I will get the car up on a lift and check out all those possible causes. I will get back to you on the remedy.
Warren

Posted on: 2014/1/18 5:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard, I had a local transmission expert (AAAA Transmission in Fort Worth, TX) look at the mounts and linkages and all drive train components. Turns out it was as you suspected. Slop/wear in the linkage after 60 years of usage (plus being designed with a sliderule and not manufactured by a computer to begin with). Looks like I was missing a retaining nut at the end of the linkage mounting tube that extends downward from the firewall. I also insterted a split ring retainer as a spacer at the end of the 'collars' that rotate around that tube when the actual shift lever is moved. Everything seems nice and tight now and the vibration has been almost totally eliminated in 2nd and 3rd gears. Thanks for your suggestions. Received invaluable help from AAAA Transmission in diagnosing this issue.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 10:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved