Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ebay Comparison of 327 vs 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Found this bit of information on a new eBay listing this morning:

"1948 was also the first year for the 327 cid Packard straight eight that would see the company through to the end of the straight eight era. The engine produced as much horsepower as the larger prewar 356cid engine, so Packard under rated it's horsepower in their literature. The fact was that the lighter more powerful Super Eight outperformed the heavier and more expensive top of the line Custom Eight."

I'd never heard this claim before. Has anyone else? Is it just more eBay amateur marketing misinformation?

Posted on: 2014/1/23 10:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Ebay Comparison of 327 vs 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Having driven both, I'd say the Super is slightly faster, but dont have any timed runs. The Custom is noticably creamier in feel. But if the road has any corners in it, I would take the Super, and come to think of it, would also prefer it in town. The 327 powertrain is some 150 lbs (?) lighter.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The 327 puts out about 56 hp on a dyno at 1950 rpm, while the 359 puts out around 73 hp. So if the compression is dropped in the 359 the hp probably drops around 10.

My guess is the Su 8 feels faster because the hood is shorter, but my impression is they are a pretty even match.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Both the engine and the car are lighter than the Custom 8 so it was probably faster.I read somewhere that the 48 super 8 had the best power to weight ratio of any car built in 1948.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 21:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved