Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt jump start
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
My friend is getting a 54 Packard delivered Tuesday and it's going to be about 15 degrees, the shipper already said the car won't start as the battery is weak. I guess either put a new one in or try and jump start as he has to drive it i mile to his house. How do you jump start these 6 volt cars without another one?

Posted on: 2014/1/25 0:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt jump start
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
OK, its not the best of ideas, but I sure have done it enough times in the last 40 years.

Make sure everything is turned off. Have your buddy sit in the car all ready to start it. Hook up the (stout) jumper cables and crank at once. Disconnect as soon as it starts. If it doesn't want to go pretty darn quick then give it up and call AAA, or take the battery home and charge it.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 6:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
There is a safer way to jump a 6V system with a 12V batt. Turn the ignition key on, connect the jumper cable to the starter side of the solenoid or the starter itself then ground the other jumper(you are acting as the solenoid). That way you will only have 12V going to the starter and not the rest of the electrical system. Just don't hit the starter button.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 8:45
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Like Ross, I've done it MANY times. The starter and the jumper cables, especially if they are common 12-volt gauge cables, will overheat rapidly and get HOT so follow Ross's advice and keep the contact time as short as possible, certainly no more than 5 seconds. If it doesn't start quickly, disconnect and allow time to cool down for reconnecting again. And of course, double check that you connect (+) to (+), (-) to (-).

Posted on: 2014/1/25 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If no traffic around a little push might work with a weak fully charged battery.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/1/25 10:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
It's a 54 automatic

Posted on: 2014/1/25 15:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Due to the fact that they have a rear pump you can jump-start an Ulramatic, not sure what road speed is required, maybe about 15 or 20 mph?

Posted on: 2014/1/25 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I prefer connecting jumper cables to the battery making sure polarity is correct. The reason being the 6v battery is dead and will act as a resistor lowering the voltage the starter is seeing. But as was said do not leave it connected long and make sure all lights are off. A shot of starter fluid might be in order also.

Good luck

Posted on: 2014/1/25 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
And keep your foot off of the brake pedal. Better to connect the booster ground to some place away from the battery too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/26 11:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved