Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

steering box shims
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I'm hunting for appropriate material to make a set of new worm bearing shims. Need a variety of really thin stuff (.003, .005, .010) that is relatively tough and will seal the worm cover and allow for future adjustment by removing shims.
Garden variety gasket material is way too thick.
McMaster has plastic shim in sheets made of polyester. Would this be a good choice?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shims/=qkhcwj

Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 21:09
 Top  Print   

Re: steering box shims
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
how about aluminium flashing material?

Posted on: 2014/2/5 21:28
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd go with steel or brass shim stock. McMaster has some sets and Amazon also has a variety of thicknesses and materials in sets. Here is an Amazon brass assortment and if you search for "shim stock assortment", various other materials will also come up.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 21:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd strongly recommend going with HH56's suggestion; buy an assortment of steel or brass shim stock. The thinner materials can be relatively easily cut to shape with good scissors and the holes punched.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Interesting. Because the cover has been the source of past leaks, I dismissed brass/steel wondering whether they would have the slight "give" necessary to form a seal and whether those materials would be easily fabricated into a gasket and whether they could easily be torn out for future adjustment. That said, coming from two masters, brass is it.
Thanks gents.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 23:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps the cover plate has been warped or something nicked. Maybe your machinist could check the cover on a surface plate or possibly a piece of glass is flat enough to see if it is straight.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 23:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mark, If you have a Grainger store nearby, they might be a good source for sheet brass in varying thickness.

(o{}o)

Also, hobby shops may be a good place to look, locally.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 10:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
You should put in some sealer on the metal. We used a product call Hylomar to seal racing transmissions metal to metal on the case. It is similar to rubber cement. It is available from a hard core racing shop like Pegasus.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 16:22
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved