Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Member - Need Engine
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jan Hadley
See User information
I'm brand new here. I don't see any kind of "for sale" or "wanted" section so I'm posting here. I hope I'm not doing it wrong or irritating the membership.

I need a nine-main-bearing Packard 327 straight 8 engine, fairly complete and free-turning, for a vintage boat. I'm located in South Carolina but would be willing to drive a semi-reasonable distance to get the right engine. Also, I go to Hershey every October and could take delivery there...but sooner would be much better. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 11:52
 Top  Print   

Re: New Member - Need Engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just FYI there is a wanted and for sale forum on this site.

Have you considered a Packard 356 marine engine? They are 9-mains and specifically designed for marine use. Not that this one is for sale, but they can be found. They were available in 6 or 12 volt, clockwise or counterclockwise rotation, with a variety of gear ratios.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.27 KB)
177_5303920fef3f5.jpg 1280X887 px

jpg  (134.61 KB)
177_5303926988300.jpg 904X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/2/18 11:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jan Hadley
See User information
I just can't tell you how much I'd like to have a Packard marine engine but I didn't bother to mention it because I haven't been able to locate one in the last 12 months and therefore assumed that there are none to be found. Also, this is not a boating forum. Since this engine will be used in a vintage racer, my solution was/is to install an "open air" straight 8 with non-water-jacketed exhausts pointing skyward and a custom-built intake manifold. Obviously, a marine manifold would be preferable and a marine engine would be outstanding! I'd welcome any leads. At this point, I have a problem without a solution.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I have a bare-bones 356 that is currently sitting in a shop near Hershey. No manifolds, carburetor, starter, etc. Would probably need rebuilding, but I don't know to what degree. I haven't seen it in person yet. Was going to try and get it shipped to Dayton this past week, but the weather changed my plans. It's just a spare to me, so I'm not in a hurry to retrieve it, and the shop owner said I could store it there until transportation could be provided.

If you're interested, my e-mail is StelvioGT@yahoo.com

Posted on: 2014/2/18 12:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nautilus, I have a Packard friend who has dealt quite a bit with the Packard marine engines. He's rebuilt several and donated them to the various Packard museums, and done several others for use in restored vintage boats, here and in Europe. He always seems to know where they are, if you wish send me a PM and I'll provide you with an introduction and an email address.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 14:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jan Hadley
See User information
Found what I wanted!...a 1954 9 main bearing 359 from a low mileage Patrician at a price so low I'm embarrassed to reveal it. On top of that. it's only 60 miles from home. All good things come to he who waits?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 16:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved