Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Did you change your 6v. Packard to 8v or 12v?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

daves41
See User information
For a while now I've debated going to 8v or 12v for my '41 120. For those of you that have switched, did you encounter any problems or in the case of 8v upgrades, still a desire to go to 12v? The weak lights and slow starting just don't make it for me anymore. I could enjoy the car a lot more with a change, but don't know if just a new 8v battery would do it.

I now own a 2014 C7 Stingray (another wish come true) and the 1941 Packard, so I have the best of both worlds, old and new. I would love to hear from Packard owners who have upgraded to a higher voltage and if they are happy with it. I do show the vehicles, but the points difference wouldn't bother me. Dim lights coming home from the shows does though. Thanks guys (and girls) for any info.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 20:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Did you change your 6v. Packard to 8v or 12v?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You don't need 8 volts let alone 12. What you need to do is check your battery cables and make sure they aren't 12-volt rated rather than 6-volt rated. If they're skinny, they're probably 12-volt. Get yourself 00 gauge 6-volt battery cables.

If you do have 00 6-volt cables, then your connections probably need cleaning. Either way, clean your connections.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 20:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I had a 40 120 that had an 8 volt battery in it when I bought it. Nice bright lights, but the light bulbs burned out in short order. Switched it back to 6 volt and changed the wires out like West suggested and the lights worked nicely. I also replaced the wiring on my 39 120 and the six volt lights are super bright.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 21:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

daves41
See User information
I'll check around for a new wiring harness or try replacing some lines. Did 8v spin the starter faster to allow for better starts?

Posted on: 2014/2/18 21:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
8-volt batteries in cars otherwise 6-volt is a really bad idea. Yes, it will probably crank faster but as others have pointed out, if you have slow cranking you probably have dirty connections, undersize cables, or a starter motor in need of rebuilding. Years back, installing an 8-volt battery was the kind of thing the sleezy highway used car lots did to make a car start fast. If you wont to do it anyway, don't forget to have the voltage regulator readjusted and buy a sizeable inventory of light bulbs.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I ran my 38 Six for five years on 8 volts and it was a total disaster. Just about all of your power requirements go through your ammeter ( sorry....charge/discharge meter...it is not an ammeter apparently). If you are using the original voltage regulator, it must be temperature compensated. The 1938 Juniors were not and you were putting out 10.4 volts at initial start to maintain 9.6 volts required to keep an 8 volt battery charged. If you put your lights on within 1 minute of starting, you take a flash photo of the neighbourhood and have no light bulbs. The excessive charging current almost fried the charge/discharge meter. The 1941 regulator is temperature compensated but is not much better. You will not be happy with the 8 Volts. I went back to 6 volts and simply used a 51-54 eight cyl 6V starter with around 80% more starting torque. Forget the 8v batteries. They were invented for 6 volt Volkswagens with Bosch regulators and Negative earth situations. Good luck anyway if you decide to go that way. I have a brand new 8v never commissioned battery if you need one. Postage to the USA could be a problem. I run a 6v Positive Earth and 12 V negative earth system on my 38 Twelve and there are some amazing LED lights coming onto the market. I have 6 V LED's fitted to the rear tail and brake lights and they are amazing. PT

Posted on: 2014/2/19 7:07
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
IIRC Bill Hirsch got 6v "lightbulbs" that are led lights

Posted on: 2014/2/19 7:31
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
IIRC Bill Hirsch got 6v "lightbulbs" that are led lights

Posted on: 2014/2/19 7:32
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I use all original-type bulbs on my car and feel no need to go with LED. Sealed beam headlights are bright, and the taillights are very bright. It all goes back to getting the proper sized battery cables and cleaning connections. If I were you, I'd hold off on any modifications until you have the harness and cables in. Then take a look and see if you think you need brighter.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 9:44
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
38 Packard Sixes and Eights had particularly small and not very visible tail and brake lights and a friend of mine with two 1941 seniors thought his to dim as well for safe night driving. We installed quartz bulbs from Hirsch and the improvement was welcome. They draw a bit more current and get warm so best not to use them behind plastic lenses unless there is ample clearance. I still have all OEM type bulbs in my 34 and find them sufficiently bright, even though not sealed beam headlamps.

Posted on: 2014/2/19 9:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved