Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

windshield
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
i have a 51 200 deluxe in need of a windshield. my question is what all years and models would have the same windshield?

Posted on: 2008/8/16 7:47
 Top  Print   

Re: windshield
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
fern51: You are wise to ask.

Even though the 1051 through 1954 Packards are all absed on the same body, and "appear" identical, the windshield does vary by model!

The 4-door sedan has a different one than the 2-door, and the convertible is different again, and so on. I don't know which ones are interchangeable, but make sure you find someone who DOES know.

The windshields are also incredibly expensive. I had to pay "only" $325 for my untinted one, but that became $450 with boxing and freight. The windshield seal also needs to be replaced - the old one will be iretrievably damaged during disassembly, even if someone is very careful, unless it is rather new itself. That seal costs $220 or so from any of the Steele Products dealers. Don't think about not replacing it -you will introduce wind and WATER leaks that will do incredible damage. And, unless you have done a replacement yourself before, you'll need to pay someone GOOD to do it right. You are realistically looking at $300 or so for the installation, unless the pro installer gives you a big break.

So, you end up spending about $1100 unless someone gives you parts or labor at a big discount . . .

If you have to have a windhsield custom made by one the vendors who does THAT, think $750 before freight, plus the $220 plus the $300 . . .

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/16 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'm not sure being more of a 55-56 nut, but the 48-54 parts manual is available on this site and you could look up the part number and compare it with other cars from 51-53 and see which models have the same part number listed. You might even be able to get a 53 windshield that's tinted. I think all models by 54 had the squared corner windshield.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Based on part numbers from this website... it would appear that 51 and 52 all models will interchange with the exceptions of the Sport Coupe and Convertible Coupe. It looks like tinted glass became available in '52. You can double check me... 1948 to 1954 Packard Parts List, Group 31.404, Page 561, Part 424570.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
$325 is actually a good price. Any modern car with the same size windshield would cost as much, some cost a lot more.

Check with your local glass shops. If their supplier still has the mold they can make a windshield for the same price as any other windshield, basically so much per square inch plus extra for tinting.

Buying locally will save shipping, and they will probably install it at no extra charge.

Many manufacturers still have old molds in the warehouse. If they have the mold it's as easy as making any other windshield.

I agree about buying new rubber. The old stuff dries out, if it is more than a year old it won't seal. Also buy the best quality you can get, the cheap stuff dries out and cracks after a year or 2.

You may be able to find a used one but it's probably not worth it. Old glass is brittle and likely to break while being removed and replaced, no glass shop will guarantee to put in an old windshield without breaking it but they will take responsibility for a new one. Also the old one will be chipped, scratched, and possibly starting to turn white at the edges. Once you get it in you will wish you sprung for a new one.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day fern51,

Welcome to the site. Don't forget to add your '51 200 Deluxe to the Owner Registry and include a pic, and history if known please.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 14:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: ......Don't forget to add your '51 200 Deluxe to the Owner Registry and include a pic, and history if known please.

for adding your '51 to the Registry.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 17:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Solex (tinted) windshields were made available starting in 1952. And to those who have had to buy a new windshield for a 55/56 Caribbean, $325 would be the steal of the century.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
There used to be, and I think there still is a gentleman in Poplar Bluff Missouri that sells new glass for our cars. As I remember when I priced a windshield for a Studebaker, his prices were not cheap, but fair. I'll see if I can find his contact information this evening when I get home and I will post it for your consideration.

They are Phillips Classic Auto Glass
phone: 573-785-1927
fax: 573-776-6148
e-mail: classicglass@semo.net

Hope this helps!

Posted on: 2008/9/16 13:10
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
got ahold of vic at phillips glass,easy to work with and now have new windshield in the 51. $450.00 plus shipping.thought that was pretty good.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 15:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved