Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

todd landis, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tires in your Packard
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Hello!

What size and brand tires are you having in your 1955 or 1956 Packards, plys or radials?

I'm going to buy new set of whitewall radial tires for my 1955 Packard 400 and I'd need some help on what size and brand should I get. I found some info that the closest size for radials would be 235/75R15. Is this true? I also read on another forum that all brands of that size won't fit on the rear. Can you help me with this?

Can someone also tell me how wide was the white walls originally?

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed about, I couldn't find an old thread with search.

Thanks,
Jani

Posted on: 2014/3/17 10:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Tires in your Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 235/75R15 is the appropriate size for the car. Can't help you on the original WW width but you might check out Diamondbackhttp://www.dbtires.com/ if you are interested in radials. Several here have switched to them and reports are generally quite good. Don't know if they are available or shipped into Finland though. Some did report having to deflate slightly to slide the tire into the rear wheelwell but was nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 10:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I run modern off the shelf 235 75 R 15 on my 56 Executive. As HH456 indicates the rears have to be deflated for easy removal altho i have done it without deflating.
225's would be just fine for light duty service.

Note that i use the cheapest 235's i cam find. A premium brand 235 will be a bit larger overall and might offer some fender well interference under full bump reboundor lock to lock steering.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 10:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I am running 235/17 on my 55 Caribbean and 225/17 on my 55 Clipper. There is a dramatic improvement using the radials over the bias ply. As was pointed out, beware of interference with the fender on tight turns. I actually have interference if I turn all the way right or left at a stand still. This causes the familiar fender hump we see so often. The tires I use are BF Goodrich.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
17 as in seventeen in tire???? What wheel as on for what production car?

Posted on: 2014/3/17 15:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Sorry, having a senior moment. Should have read 235/75 and 225/75 not 235/17 and 235/17.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
As was pointed out, beware of interference with the fender on tight turns.

My car has these, and has 4 ring links (which were not installed when the avatar snap was taken) and now sits at the correct height....but the fronts do rub on tight turns, especially when bumping up a bit going on a private driveway.

Were I to do it over, I'd spend more time looking at 225s.

235s were a response to 8.20 x15, but OEM on senior cars was 8.00 x 15 if memory serves. I do remember my first Packard (in 1959) had 8.20s on it FWIW....

I don't think the weight capacity is anywhere near being taxed.

This car came with Cokers. haven't had any problems, but would probably use something else to replace with. Comments when showing/touring seem to dislike Cokers (again, FWIW).

Posted on: 2014/3/17 18:46
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
235/75R15's are fantastic. They fill the wheel well properly and the difference between bias-ply and radials is staggering.

Whitewall width decreased throughout the 50's. Correct width varied slightly, but in general the following sizes are good guidelines:
Prior to 1953: 4 1/4"
1953-1956: 3 1/2"
1957-1958 (for all you Packardbaker fans): 2 1/4"

Posted on: 2014/3/17 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You could look at cheap tires. Compare the cheapest brand to the most expensive name brand, you will see the cheap tire can be more than 2" narrower for the same nominal size. The cheap ones are proportioned more like the old bias ply jobs and fit old cars better.

I used to buy Marshal 791 tires from Walmart but I don't think they make them anymore.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2014/3/17 22:45
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved