Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 205

Darrin180, R H, 1929ClubSedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Price advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Hi everyone, I'm looking at a 1949 Packard eight touring sedan, 22nd series, original except tires. Model 2262-9. The interior is nice in the pics and the exterior has patina. Some scratches and scrapes but nothing major, probably needs the bumpers re-chromed. It would need a paint job, but has no rust that is visible. It is a standard shift with overdrive, and the drivetrain is all original, never been rebuilt. It has somewhere in 30 thousand mile range and is said to drive good. I have not seen this car in person.
What should I expect to pay for this car? I'm not going to hold anyone to a price, I'm just looking for a ball park price. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 12:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Price advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
https://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1949/Packard/Deluxe-8/4-Door-Sedan/Values

Sounds like low retail, Richie, but considering what you'd have to put into it to reach high retail, which isn't that high, I'd say low retail is a little high.

Now the guys will pounce. But hey.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Thank you Joe. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 14:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1334756
Here is another link which may give you some guidance.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I will say this...I looked at the link from Joe and I would never sell my car for the "high" retail price, much less the offensive price at the low end. A car near 70 years old, made by Packard for $3K??!!! Forget about it!!! That is what I think.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.50 KB)
2923_5328e6339480b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/3/18 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Richie:

Some may say that the styling of the 1949 may not be the most svelte, but I would argue that there were very, very few cars that could touch the quality of these cars. Their engines are silky smooth, their ride is terrific, and the fit and finish outstanding.

Though my car was well restored, I know on good authority that an all-original car is special.

But there is one more thing to consider -- the most important consideration of all -- is this a car that you really like and would enjoy for the foreseeable future? Consider first the here and the now: these are collectibles and values can be arbitrary.

Enjoy this car for now and let the chips fall where they may! Who knows what I will get for the Clipper in the future, but the enjoyment I get from owning and driving the car at this point is simply priceless.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 19:54
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigbadbernard
See User information
I personally prefer to use www.collectorcarmarket.com, for it includes a condition guide, as well as the matter of fact that it is supported by hagerty insurance. If you click on this link:http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/pa49d.html You can enter your information for your 49, and get an honest price. I would consider the condition according to your description as a #4, as seen on this value chart:http://collectorcarmarket.com/adv/prcpgs/condguide.html
Bigbadbernard

Posted on: 2014/3/18 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Thanks Dave, I'm taking notes. Richie

Posted on: 2014/3/18 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Wow Paul, what a beautiful car. Believe I'd keep that forever. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 20:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Richie, Price guides are all over the map especially with cars like Packard. My advice is to get someone familiar with Packards who can inspect the car with you if at al possible.There are weaknesses and strengths to every make and model and Packards are no exception. Read all you can find and ask questions from knowledgeable people like those on this site. There are always cars available and if in the meantime this one slips away do not worry as someday soon another will come along just as nice. I searched for several years to find a local Packard in the model that I wanted and it took 6 years to get it roadworthy but it was worth the effort. I think there is too much emphasis on investment in regard to old cars. Packards have probably seen there best days as far as investments go so just buy what you like and enjoy it for what it is.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 21:08

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved